Username Password: Remember me

Leanne's Shoulder Saga
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Leanne's Shoulder Saga

Leanne's Shoulder Saga 7 years, 2 months ago #15754

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      Well, considering I'm in for more surgery, as suggested by Gayle, I've decided to start my own thread, rather then posting in various threads. I'm a 25 y/o active female (5x/week gym workouts including weights and cardio, participate in lots of sports but with the shoulder issues, only consistent one over past 6 years has been skiing). So, to update, I thought I would update everyone on my history...

Sept '03 - Arthroscopic Right shoulder anterior capsular shift to treat anterior subluxations (caused by repetitve use from being a fastball pitcher). Recovery was unremarkable and my right shoulder is 100% now, no problems at all.

Jan '05 - Arthroscopic Left shoulder bankart/SLAP repair, anterior capsular shift w/ rotator interval closure to treat anterior dislocations after a bad ski fall. Never regained full ROM (lost flexion, IR, adduction and abduction) and impingement pain.

Jan '06 - MUA and arthroscopic release of subacromial/subdeltoid adhesions to treat loss of ROM and impingement pain. Still didn't regain ROM or improve impingement pain.

Sept '07 - Arthroscopic Subacromial decompression (SAD), bursectomy, release of subacromial adhesions. Still no improvement in ROM or impingement pain and development of biceps tendinitis.

Mar '09 - Mini-open/arthroscopic Biceps Tenodesis to treat tendinitis and impingement pain. Still no improvement in ROM, biceps symptoms completely relieved with normal regaining of strength. Impingement Pain still present and development of hyper-sensitive biceps anchor which was recently revealed to be the remnants of a dissolvable stitch.

I recently discovered ROM restrictions are actually caused by a subtle instability with exception of adduction/IR caused by posterior capsular scarring. Recently dislocated left shoulder twice and US showed full thickness tear of subscapularis and partial tear of articular surface of supraspinatus of rotator cuff. No doubt there is another bankart lesion as well.

See my OS again March 1st to plan next step forward, but either way, I've got another long haul ahead of me. I will continue to update this thread and anyone feel free to ask me any questions you may have. I've been through a lot with my shoulders but through it all, I'll continue to look in one direction, that being forward, towards an eventual resolution.

To everyone out there, hang in there.

Leanne
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re:Leanne's Shoulder Saga 7 years, 2 months ago #15765

• Susie
      • Senior Boarder
      Wow, you've been through so much. You are definitely a good person to go to with shoulder questions (as has been proven to me).

What kind of cardio do you still do at the gym, after your dislocations? I went in yesterday and had a very boring time on the treadmill.

I'm hoping that since I'm inching my way towards 40 my chances of recurrent dislocation are low. I'm hoping.

Susie

Re:Leanne's Shoulder Saga 7 years, 2 months ago #15766

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      In terms of cardio, I've been doing a lot on the spin bikes and the elliptical trainer. The jarring was a bit much on the shoulder when i tried to go for a run, so i'm gonna stick to lots of low impact, high intensity stuff for now. Luckily, it's really cold out right now so there is no temptation to go outside and go for a run, but once the weather warms up, it's going to make this process even more brutal .

Being close to 40 your chance of redislocation much lower, but being active, even just the mental component to the possibility of redislocating is enough to really hamper an active lifestyle. do you see your OS this week?
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re:Leanne's Shoulder Saga 7 years, 2 months ago #15767

• Susie
      • Senior Boarder
      I was thinking about getting on an elliptical. I'm not always a fan--I much prefer taking classes and running, but that's out for now. My bike is on a trainer, but I'm afraid there will be too much pressure on my shoulders.

I told my husband that if I stop doing contact sports, swimming, running, cycling, and any activity that involves raising my right hand, I might be able to avoid surgery #2.

Re:Leanne's Shoulder Saga 7 years, 2 months ago #15769

• kcdtarheel
      • Gold Boarder
      Leanne,
      I'm glad you started your own thread so we can follow your progress. We'll be cheering you on!! Hang in there and be careful with the shoulder until your OS gets back. Thanks for the input you're always willing to give the rest of us.

Re:Leanne's Shoulder Saga 7 years, 2 months ago #15771

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      Susie, I'm 25 years old and just not willing to give up my active lifestyle anytime soon. so i know what you mean. the risks of the surgery don't even come close to the possible benefits. i'm not able to do any standing climbs on the bike right now, if i do, then i'm doing shorter intervals, but mainly just doing a more moderate resistance with high rpms. my gym just got the new 'anti-gravity yoga' that i've been dying to try out, but that will definetly have to wait as will the other classes, not to mention my circuit training. it's going to be tough to stay sane over the next while lol.

kcdtarheel, thanks for the good wishes! i will be sure to keep everyone updated on my progress and will continue to provide input for those seeking advice. if there's one positive that has come from this whole saga, it's been the ability to help others through their journey as well. i've been fortunate to have a PT who has taught me a lot and really mentored me through all of this, she's taught me a lot about the shoulder, that's for sure.

anyways, drew brees pulled off a big win tonight at the superbowl, let him be the example that even with a serious shoulder injury and with the odds stacked against him, that hard work can get anyone through anything and turn those odds back into your favour.

Leanne
      Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 192 guests online
      Up