Recurring SLAP Tears
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Recurring SLAP Tears

Recurring SLAP Tears 4 years, 4 months ago #18305

• DaBergin
  • Fresh Boarder
Question:

I have been trying to find out what the rate of recurrence is for SLAP tears. I am a 35 y/o male who has had 2 repairs to the R shoulder since 2002. The first 2 repairs were within about 3 years of each other. I am now awaiting an appt with my orthopedic surgeon for what will most likely be a third. My previous 2 have been full bucket handle tears. I have completed all rehab/strengthening after each surgery. I can't think of anything I could being doing to cause recurrence. No crazy behavior, unless 3 kids count. What questions should i be asking the OS? Are there any procedures I should be investigating? I want this to be the last repair, due to arthritis from the previous injuries. I don't want to be a 40 yr old guy with a metal shoulder.

Thanks in advance for any insight you all can provide.

Re:Recurring SLAP Tears 4 years, 4 months ago #18316

• GirlGumby
  • Gold Boarder
Do you have the answer to the why yet? I'd start there. Are these new tears or is it hardware failure?

Re:Recurring SLAP Tears 4 years, 4 months ago #18323

• DaBergin
  • Fresh Boarder
The doctor hasn't given me a good answer on that. From what he has explained, they are new tears, and there was no hardware failure involved.

Re:Recurring SLAP Tears 4 years, 4 months ago #18333

• sskylor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Physical Therapist/Patient
Please read the post on tenodesis. Failed or recurrent SLAP tears
should consider a tenodesis, but you should understand whether the second tear was in the same or new area.

I suppose some people have genetics that are not favorable for the labrum repair to heal well. I would not consider another surgery without having PRP injections during the surgery and perhaps it is time to consider a new OS. Could there be a problem
with his surgical technique or post-op protocol. Again tenodesis
should prevent any need for failed or further surgery.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.57 seconds
Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 140 guests online