Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

Going in for latarjet surgery
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Going in for latarjet surgery

Re: Going in for latarjet surgery 3 years, 3 months ago #29600

• COgirl
      • Platinum Boarder
      I would probably do it again. I trust the advice of the OS. I saw the MRI. I can confidently do things that I would have given up otherwise. I think the frozen shoulder and pain issues I have now are more related to the initial injury and I fault the town for not keeping sidewalks clear of ice.

But if you can strengthen the shoulder with PT, that would be the first thing you should do before surgery. If it works.
      3/2010 Slap Tear Repair, Biceps tenotomy
      8/2012 Latarjet
      11/14 Total shoulder replacement

Re: Going in for latarjet surgery 3 years, 3 months ago #29610

• vedado
      • Fresh Boarder
      Almost 9 months post-Latarjet here. Had a Latarjet on my dominant (right) shoulder after several dislocations and a previous failed SLAP/bankart repair.

My ROM is excellent for me, but I am no yoga instructor, although I always had a lot of mobility in both shoulders. Over the head and out to the side feels completely normal and I am no longer apprehensive at all. Behind the back is somewhat limited. I can tuck in my shirt just fine, but I can't scratch between my shoulder blades (I can do that with my left shoulder, which had a bankart repair 20 years ago). Sleeping on my right side is still slightly uncomfortable. There's still a bit of clicking and catching, but doesn't really hurt or impede my activities. Strength is now back to baseline. I was discharged by my surgeon with no restrictions 3 months ago.

For me, the surgery was absolutely worth it, but I was in a state where I was regularly dislocating during normal activities--sleeping, stretching, doing some housework. I was rarely able to reduce them myself, and because I am a very large guy with lots of muscle mass (former rugby player), by the time I'd be seen at the ER I was in full muscle spasm, in tremendous pain, and usually the ER doc could not reduce either. So, I had to have the surgery to have any quality of life, and it has worked so far. I did get three opinions, two from academic surgeons, including one of the most published surgeons on shoulder instability. Both academic surgeons recommended the Latarjet, which made me feel more comfortable with the decision, and one of them performned the surgery. Hope this helps.

Re: Going in for latarjet surgery 3 years, 3 months ago #29667

• jnthn
      • Fresh Boarder
      thanks vedado. seems like you've had good results minus the catching/clicking it seems.

one ortho recently recommended the remplissage procedure for me while my first recommended the latarjet. what to do?! odds are i will ask a third for an opinion, but from what i can tell the latarjet is more tried and tested. while the remplissage can be done arthroscopically, has less complications, and is less traumatic that the latarjet surgery, the results with the latarjet seems to be quite positive. i may also have to postpone the surgery for about 10 months, so i'll be doing a lot of PT in advance anyway.

i am used to having a good ROM so i am hesitant to do anything that would structurally restrict it. however, i can still dislocate quite easily and it may be worth it just to get rid of the daily apprehension, which i am sure you know ALL about.

Re: Going in for latarjet surgery 3 years, 2 months ago #29670

• COgirl
      • Platinum Boarder
      I've got that clicking and scrunching sound too. And it does it at the most inopportune times. For me it's either a tendon caught somewhere or it's arthritis. Oh well, I live with it.
      3/2010 Slap Tear Repair, Biceps tenotomy
      8/2012 Latarjet
      11/14 Total shoulder replacement

Re: Going in for latarjet surgery 3 years, 2 months ago #29674

• LorenzoSC
      • Senior Boarder
      I had that bothering noise on my latarjet'd shoulder for 1 and 1/2 year post-op: it was like a noisy clunk when I abducted the full straight arm on the side. Now it's gone after A LOT of swimming. I guess these noises can be also due to some muscular imbalance caused by surgery, when strength is restored and the joint starts to move properly again they disappear all of a sudden
      "Subice te rationi, si tibi subicere vis omnia."

Re: Going in for latarjet surgery 3 years, 2 months ago #29677

• vedado
      • Fresh Boarder
      Yes, I know all about the daily apprehension! Given how easily I could dislocate, and how hard it was to reduce my dislocations, they were really affecting my quality of life. I was even wearing an orthotic brace to sleep and around the house to minimize the chance of another dislocation. This was a great idea of my original O/S, btw--while I didn't go with him for the surgery, I am in his debt for suggesting and prescribing that brace.

I am not a rugby player anymore (I am an old man now ), but, if I were, I think I could still play at the same level with my shoulder the way it is. Strength and the ROM needed for that sport are there. If I were a baseball pitcher or a quarterback or in another throwing sport, I think I would feel differently, though, as there is some degradation of ROM. For where I am in my life, I am glad to trade a slight reduction in ROM for increased stability. The latarjet was definitely worth it for me.

Good to hear that others have seen the "catching and clicking" diminishing over time. I am lifting a lot now, and am planning to add some swimming to help with this. Hope to see continued progress.

I've been much more fortunate than others in that I've had no serious complications of any of my surgeries, but less fortunate than some in that I've had to have both shoulders intervened for stability, one of them twice. I will say that this forum was invaluable as I've dealt with this for several years--I haven't posted that much, but I've learned about everything from the best way to sleep to other peoples' experiences with my surgeon here. It's a great resource, and I'm grateful to everyone who has shared their experience.I hope that I can help "pay it forward" for the next person.
      Time to create page: 0.56 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 253 guests and 1 member online
      Up