Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

Hints for pre-surgery and Post Op
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Hints for pre-surgery and Post Op

Re:Hints for pre-surgery and Post Op 7 years, 4 months ago #13940

• debbie
      • Fresh Boarder
      THANKS FOR INFO HAVING SURGERY IN TWO WEEKS. VERY SCARED!

Re:Hints for pre-surgery and Post Op 7 years, 4 months ago #13950

• GMWisconsin
      • Gold Boarder
      • RC & Biceps Tenodesis 10/09 and 2nd Repair 6/2010
      Hi Debbie!

Think the anxiety before surgery is normal - and not just a shoulder thing! Most everyone here got really mixed feelings the day before - really scared and also tired of the pain and just wanting to be on the other side and heading uphill. What your feeling is normal.

Thinking about post-op buy everything you need to shower in pump bottles; shampoo, conditioner, body wash. I popped for make-up in a pump cuz about 4 days post-op I REALLY needed to blow dry the hair, put on some make-up and feel somewhat human when I went in to see my OS and have the dressings removed.

Don't buy too many over-size tops! You will find they get too bulky and uncomfortable in the sling - I only lasted 5 days trying that. Went to Kohl's about 10 days post-op and bought a couple button down cardigans (check that the buttons can be done one handed, im my case I have to use my non-dominant arm) and a couple knit tops that zip up the front that look decent and are comfortable. Found I need something higher on the neck since the sling is driving me CRAZY:woohoo:

Your hand thing sounds kind of scary and sounds like you should get that checked ASAP! Take care.

Gayle

Re:Hints for pre-surgery and Post Op 7 years, 2 months ago #15487

• soreshlr
      • Fresh Boarder
      "Finally, a post-surgery tip -- take off as much time as you can! I had planned to go back at 2 weeks, but I went in to visit before that and ended up with a project and a deadline, and I also didn't realize how many heavy doors I go through every day -- I had my worst night ever after that day."

This is one thing that I'm worried about - I have planned a week of for a Bankart repair, but will that be enough. (I head our EHR project, and time off is precious - the reason I put off fixing my shoulder for a year.)

Re:Hints for pre-surgery and Post Op 7 years, 2 months ago #15490

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      it depends what a typical day at work is like for you. most people find that one week is not enough (i am one of those people) and would try for 2 if you can. the first few weeks is when the inflammation is at it's worst and moving around a lot can increase the pain a lot and you definetly want to make sure you are icing lots the first 2 weeks.

if anything, i would take a week and then try half days or see if there is anything you can do from home. but in my opinion, 2 weeks would be best, especially because it can take 10 days to get over anesthetic. the more you can baby it in the beginning, the better you set the table for your rehab.
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re:Hints for pre-surgery and Post Op 7 years, 2 months ago #15500

• maroon
      • Junior Boarder
      I had knee surgery back in 2000 and I did it on a Tuesday and was back at work and okay the following Monday. I'm having a slap repair in a few weeks. Should I expect this to take me away from work for a longer period of time than the knee surgery? I'm 28 years old and in really good heatlh. I'd hate to miss too much work. My typical work day is spent sitting. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Re:Hints for pre-surgery and Post Op 7 years, 2 months ago #15501

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      I had my surgeries while attending university as a student. I went back to class a week after surgery but was mainly able to do that because the classes were spread out and only had to stay in one spot for no more then 2 hours at a time. if you are able to get up, ice while at work then, after a week i would try half days or after a week progress the length of your time at work each day. the more freedom you have at your job the better, it really varies depending on the individual and how you react to the surgery. but i think it's better to take off more time and better to be safe then sorry.
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement
      Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 197 guests online
      Up