Username Password: Remember me

Hints for pre-surgery and Post Op
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Hints for pre-surgery and Post Op

Re:Hints for pre-surgery and Post Op 9 years, 1 month ago #4706

• Imsoaks
      • Senior Boarder
      Thanks for the advice.

I play Senior league baseball (I'm 38) and usually start my rotator exercises in Jan, but ever since I've been going to my Dr, starting in October, I've been doing my shoulder ex.

I was wondering if doing these ex would help me or hurt me. I got my answer. I was even going to stop them until my surgery, i'm glad i didnt.

Thanks everyone and keep it coming!

Re:Hints for pre-surgery and Post Op 8 years, 3 months ago #9219

• Hooler
      • Fresh Boarder
      Just had surgery 2 days ago for a slap tear, etc.
      I have taking the advice of keeping a ball in my hand and squeezing it for a while. It keeps your arm from getting too stiff.
      Using a recliner to sleep and wearing over-sized zippered sweatshirts also works well.

Re:Hints for pre-surgery and Post Op 8 years, 3 months ago #9236

• Tri Di
      • Senior Boarder
      Hi - I'm 4 weeks post-op and have a couple of things to add to the list of things to buy before surgery:
      1. Yankz or lace locks shoe laces - found at running or triathlon stores or online. They are basically elastic shoelaces that are locked into place but are stretchy enough to allow you to slide your shoes on with one hand (but tight enough that your shoes won't rub from being too loose). I've been doing a lot of walking and am glad I don't have to try to mess with tying shoes.
      2. Dental flosser by Reach - not sure of the real name, but it's got a long handle like a toothbrush with a U-shaped head with a piece of floss stretched across it - you can buy replacement heads that snap on. I can handle it even with my left (non-dominant) hand and it keeps me from going nuts when stuff gets stuck in my teeth
      3. Pants w/ elastic waistbands - I didn't like the frumpy styles of most of them, but I found some really nice sweat pants that I can dress up. Most of the time I just wear my running shorts, but we've had some unusually cold weather, plus I needed something that I could wear if I had to run into my office. The only bad thing is that it's easy to pack on a couple of pounds without the accountability of my jeans!
      4. Ladies, I didn't see the tip about tube tops in time, but I managed ok w/ camisole tops after the first 2 weeks - just step into them and pull them up - let your injured arm hang and ease the strap up and over your shoulder as you bring the rest of the top up. Tank tops with large arm holes also worked great under large flannel shirts or sweaters. I wear a size M (8-10) and found I did best with at least XL or even 2XL, depending on how flexible the fabric is and how big the neck and arm holes are. I went to a local thrift shop and got 2 men's flannel shirts, 2 nice sweat shirts, and also 2 blouses decent enough to wear to church for only $8 total. Luckily I'm still working from home, so I don't need anything fancy.
      5. Finally, a post-surgery tip -- take off as much time as you can! I had planned to go back at 2 weeks, but I went in to visit before that and ended up with a project and a deadline, and I also didn't realize how many heavy doors I go through every day -- I had my worst night ever after that day. I got cleared to work from home at ~3 weeks at my request - I'm not good at taking time off, and I'm still working too much, but at least I can pace myself and don't have to drive, circle around the parking garage (I'm still in a sling - turning isn't fun!), and deal with hauling my work and meals, etc. I'm not having to use sick time, either, which is nice.

OK, I can tell I'm doing better, my emails are getting longer and I can ramble more before the pain kicks in! Everyone take care, hang in there!
      Diane

Re:Hints for pre-surgery and Post Op 7 years, 7 months ago #12716

• sskylor
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Physical Therapist/Patient
      This is a great thread containing useful advice for preparing for surgery especially for you men and Tridi adds some things for the women. Feel free to add anything that is missing

Re:Hints for pre-surgery and Post Op 7 years, 7 months ago #12721

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      After having to have shoulder surgery 5 times over the past 6 years, I've learned a few things along the way to help ease the post op process.

-if you don't have a recliner to sleep in, make sure you have lots of pillows to prop yourself up. Laying down after surgery is quite painful.
      -sleep on the side of the bed that allows your good arm to be on the outside. That way you don't have to roll over anytime you need to get your pain meds or water off the side table (unless it's a single bed in which case you don't have to worry about this)
      -have some slip on shoes around
      -if you don't have a cryocuff or gameready after surgery, make sure you load up on ice packs before hand. or lots of frozen peas/corn work as well. that way you will always have something ready when you need it. ice as much as possible after surgery.
      -have some gravol on hand as the anesthetic and pain meds can make you quite ill and throwing up and heaving right after surgery isn't a pleasant feeling on the shoulder.
      -for those who can't bear to wait the 3-5 days to shower b/c of the large dressing, I have found a way around this which takes some strategy. take a large piece of seran (sp?) or cling wrap and drape it over your shoulder cover the entire bandage and let it hang over a bit. Then take a wet face cloth and sit it on top of the cling wrap. the moisture from the cloth and steam in the shower makes a seal around the bandage on the skin stopping any water from getting under it and the weight of the cloth holds it in place. This will allow you to shower without getting that shoulder wet.
      -for shaving the arm pits, lean forward as if you are doing pendulums and this will allow you to wash under your arm and shave as well.
      -have lots of meals ready that just need to be heated in a microwave. if you don't like microwave dinners, make some meals beforehand and just stick them in the freezer.

that's all i can think of at the moment. there is most likely some overlap with some previous posts but just found it easier to write what helped me. i'll post more as they come to mind.
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re:Hints for pre-surgery and Post Op 7 years, 4 months ago #13939

• debbie
      • Fresh Boarder
      HI ALL TYPING IN CAPS BECAUSE I CANT SEE SMALL PRINT. MY SURGERY IS 11-11-09 HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR TWO MONTHS. WHATS STRANGE IS IN THE MORNING MY FINGERS WONT MOVE AND IF I TRY TO MOVE THEM THEY POP OUT OF SOCKET..VERY PAINFUL..ONCE IM UP AND MY HAND WARM UP THEY ALLWORK OK BUT WEAK..THE THUMB IS THE WORST.
      ANYONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM? I TRIED TO RESEARCH AND COME UP WITH SOMETHING ABOUT THE NERVES INTHE NECLK BEING AFFECTED BY SHOULDER INJURY

..LIKE I NEED MORE PAIN..I TRY NOT TO TAKE PAIN MEDS TILL NIGHT..AND THIS IS A STRANGE THING TO SAY PEOPLE BUT..STOOL SOFTENERS..THOSE MEDS MAKE IT HARD TO POOP..SORRY TO OFFEND ANYONE, BUT ITS SOOOO TRUE...
      I NEED TO KNOW WHAT MEDS EVERYONE HAD POST SURGERY THAT HELPED THE MOST. I AM TAKING SOMA AND VICODIN OR VICOPROPHEN.
      SO AFRAID OF GETTING DEPENDANT I TRY ONLY AT NIGHT AND TAKE HALF THE DOSE
      I WILL TELL YOU SOMETHING TO HELP WITH CLOTHING..
      I WENT TO THE FABRIC STORE AND BOUGHT IRON ON VELCO STRIPS..THEN TO WALMART FOR CHEAP MENS TSHIRTS AND ONE SWEATSHIRT
      I CUT THEM UP THE SIDE SEAM AND UNDER THE ARM
      IRONED THE VELCRO STRIPS ON...NOTE YOU HAVE TO PUT APPROPRIATE SIDES OF VELCO TO SIDES OF TSHIRT
      ANYWAY ITS SO I CAN JUST THROW ON OT NONINJURED SIDE AND REACH OVER AND CONNECT,,THISSHOULD WORK FOR THE GUYS
      I BOUGHT EXTRA LARGE AND I AM A MED WOMEN
      PULL UP LOSE WAIST ELASTIC PANTS
      AND I THINK IM READY.
      I HAVE BEEN SLEEPING WITH THREE PILLOWS BUT I THINK THE RECLINER MAY BE FOR AFTER SURGERY
      SO ANY INPUT FOR EASY RECOVERY IS HELPFUL
      THE DR TOOK ME OFF PRE OP PHYSICAL THERAPY..NOW MY SHOULDER IS REALLY STIFF..IM WORRIED ABOUT THAT
      THANKS FOR HELP
      Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 201 guests online