Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

Latarjet Shoulder Procedure
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Latarjet Shoulder Procedure

Latarjet Shoulder Procedure 4 years ago #28119

• MoSeS
      • Fresh Boarder
      Well i have chronic hsoulder instability since 4 years...i was advised sugery everytime i consulted orthopedics. Due to my college i never opted for a surgery...but now things have become worse..i got an MRI and CT scan..which revealed bony deficiencies in both humerus and glenoid...there is a loose glenoid fractured fragment 21mm x 11mm..i will be undergoing Latarjet Shoulder procedure...i m very excited and nervous too...i want to know the outcomes of latarjet procedure..is it successfull...will i gain earlier shoulder and upper back strength.How long does it take to get back to normal..as my shoulder is highly unstable and therefore i fear poor outcomes..i want my shoulder symmetry back to normal..i have severe postural issues. Plz help me if anyone who underwent this procedure..i need ur help and support...
      my surgery is on 18th April

PS: I met with a severe accident on 1st Jan 2013 and ended up dislocating my hip...and now 3 months have passed...i have an hypermobile unstable shoulder and weak injured hip .my upper back tilts to right side and lower back and pelvic towards left.so u can imagine the effects..i feel as if i have my right side of the body working fine..

Re: Latarjet Shoulder Procedure 4 years ago #28127

• LorenzoSC
      • Senior Boarder
      Hi,
      I had an arthroscopic Latarjet exactly 1 year ago and I must admit it was a total success in terms of outcome. I never experienced pain (except the very first days after surgery but it was bearable with pain meds), I had no ROM deficiencies and my strength is almost 100% now. The shoulder is rock solid: stability issues are gone (hopefully) forever.
      Now the flipside:
      The Latarjet is a demanding procedure; in case of bone deficiencies (I had bone loss too after a big snowboarding slam and subsequent partial dislocations over the years) is the only way to go because if you got no glenoid rim there's no place to reattach your labrum. On the other hand it is knwon to assure a solid stability and therefore it is often performed on athletes (rugby player, etc.). Because of its complexity there are a lot of potential complications (many people not as lucky as me can confirm) so my suggestion is to go with a surgeon who does A LOT of them: you might wanna think twice about going with a surgeon at its first (or second, or third...) Latarjet.
      The recover is a LONG way: I might say 6 months to be decent, 1 year to be almost OK and 2 years to be perfectly OK. This was my time-line and everything went on smoothly; I did 5 months of PT and continued on my own on a daily basis, right now I'm doing a lot of swimming and gym with therabands and little dumbells. Maybe I'll be back on snowboard for the next season, I hope but I'm still not sure...
      Finally the arthro-Latarjet I had is the arthroscopic version: very few surgeons around the world master the technique (introduced in 2003) and it is a very long procedure (mine lasted 5 hours) but it's gonna become the gold standard for shoulder stabilizations in a few years I guess: recover is faster and the surgery is more precise under arthroscopic control (the graft harvesting and positioning is a key factor for the success of the procedure).

Hope this helps and good luck for your procedure.

Keep us informed about your recovery!

Take care
      "Subice te rationi, si tibi subicere vis omnia."

Re: Latarjet Shoulder Procedure 4 years ago #28128

• MoSeS
      • Fresh Boarder
      Thanx for ur concerned reply mate...i hav been suffering a hell lot of dislocations ..most of them being traumatic..i m fearing the open laterjet ..it sounds really scary..i have consulted the best sports surgeon in town..after 3 years of research i hav decided to go in for the surgery..i hope everything goes fine ..the thing that worries me is the complexity of the procedure and what if it fails..i will be left with no..this injury has already destroyed my craeer and has started affecting my quality of life...
      is it safe to go in for an open procedure or arthroscopic..

Re: Latarjet Shoulder Procedure 4 years ago #28129

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      I had open latarjet in Nov 2011 and unfortunately fall into the complications category. I had a severe nerve injury from it and as a result of not being able to lift my arm, got a stiff shoulder and the surgeon also used screws that were 2cm too long. So, I have since had 2 surgeries trying to correct it, as recently as 2 weeks ago today. However, my situation is NOT common at all and I would not base any decisions based on my outcome but rather as an eye opener that complications can happen.

The latarjet is a technically demanding surgery, like the previous poster mentioned, make sure the surgeon does a lot of them and even tho arthroscopic version of this creates less scarring...the complications can be just as bad if the surgeon isn't well versed. I will admit the surgery can be painful, it was for me but it is manageable with pain meds. The biggest difference is bone pain...because there is bone healing involved, most people notice more night pain and a deep achiness. My shoulder was very very unstable, I was dislocating in my sleep and I definitely don't feel like I'm going to dislocate anymore.

The success rates of the surgery are good, very few become unstable again and of the ones that do...the numbers are low. It is a long recovery, plan at least a year to get things back to normal. You'll need 6-8 weeks for the graft to heal, so you'll be restricted at the get go. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask...there are more and more people on here who are having a latarjet that can answer questions and share experieneces as well.
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re: Latarjet Shoulder Procedure 4 years ago #28131

• LorenzoSC
      • Senior Boarder
      Really, don't bother too much about open vs arthro Latarjet: the outcome of both is pretty much the same, it's just something that must concern the surgeon rather than the patient, everyone feels more comfortable with one technique or the other. The important thing I think is that the surgeon has experience with the procedure and has a lot of them under his belt.
      Even regarding the scars, the arthro-latarjet needs 7 portals, not the usual 3 of a standard shoulder arthroscopy. Moreover, the pectoral portal to access the coracoid is pretty long (around 1/2'') because the osteotomizer (not sure about this word in english, sorry ) must pass through it. So you end up with 6 scars of 1/4'' and 1 of 1/2''. Most open latarjets are mini-open these days with only a 2'' scar; the subscapularis muscle is also split and not cut in order to expose the glenoid, preserving its integrity and speeding up the recovery. For me the arthro-latarjet is only better because can address concomitant issues (slaps, RC tears, etc.) if present (I didn't have any, though) and because the graft and hardware positioning is more precise. On the other hand, you got 5 times the anesthesia you receive for an average open latarjet and the shoulder swells a lot more for the prolonged operating time. Many surgeons say the arthro-latarjet speeds up the recover (they say: full rom right after the surgery, no sling (just for comfort), non-contact sports in 3 weeks, contact sports in 6 weeks) for me that was unrealistic to say the least: I had 25 days of sling, 2 months before being able to have a "normal life", 5 months of PT, 3 months before I could sleep on my operated shoulder and now at 1 year I still have to gain back some strength with the extreme range of motion (throwing, etc.)... and I had NO complications at all...
      So... expect a long recovery period but just be positive: 98% of latarjets have good to excellent results and you will go on day by day feeling the shoulder better and better, with patience, one step at a time!

Take care and keep in touch!
      "Subice te rationi, si tibi subicere vis omnia."

Re: Latarjet Shoulder Procedure 4 years ago #28134

• MoSeS
      • Fresh Boarder
      Well i hope ur shoulder recovers completely ljansen..its really very annoyin and devastating injury..which makes u feel inferior,vulnerable and weak.. All the best for u man.

I aint bothered about the scar or pain..coz iv been suffering from chronic pain in neck and between the shoulder blades and to make matter worse my right shoulder has laxed and hurts too...I just wish this procedure works wonders for me and make my life worth living..I WANT TO BE WHAT I USED TO BE.
      iv got a well rehearsed surgeon and lets hope for the best.i am preparing for a long route to recovery.

Thanks for your support.
      I'll Keep u updtaed.
      Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online