Username Password: Remember me

Is this a lot in one go?
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: Is this a lot in one go?

Re: Is this a lot in one go? 2 years, 9 months ago #30381

• Trevtassie
      • Junior Boarder
      Snowboarding, ignoring a much earlier 2006 snowboarding injury that caused a SLAP tear that "healed" then had a couple of crashes this year. There's a snowboarding term, Ragdolling... well you get the idea. The ankle happened after that, thanks to the steroid injection in my shoulder. Made the ankle hard, ever tried using crutches with your Labrum hanging off...painful doesn't describe it. Walking around Tokyo with a walking stick didn't help either.

Re: Is this a lot in one go? 2 years, 9 months ago #30386

• COgirl
      • Platinum Boarder
      I live in Colorado and ski (in my early 60s) so I see you "dudes" out there on the slope all the time. I think shoulder injuries while boarding are more common than with skiing. We get more knee issues. I have both. Are you in Tokyo or Australia/NZ? Or boarding in Japan (when there's snow).

Tough injuries. We push our bodies to do things not meant to do. But it's fun.
      3/2010 Slap Tear Repair, Biceps tenotomy
      8/2012 Latarjet
      11/14 Total shoulder replacement

Re: Is this a lot in one go? 2 years, 8 months ago #30679

• Trevtassie
      • Junior Boarder
      Well, 9 weeks out and it's all great. Nearly back to full strength in my arm. ROM still needs some work, can lift my arm above my shoulder but not all the way to vertical yet, can get it to 45 degrees laterally. No pain, just the stiffness at the limits of motion. Can even sleep on that side now. Driving OK (hint, get a steering wheel knob to make things easier in the first couple of weeks)
      I think I had a really good surgeon given the extent of the injury. Basically going from a near 360 degree slap tear and RC tear to this is beyond what I was expecting in 9 weeks. Reckon I'll be surfing again in a week or two. Already hitting the bicycle for 40km or so a ride, not bad for a 47 year old

Trev

Re: Is this a lot in one go? 2 years, 8 months ago #30681

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      That is great that you have little pain. But remember, it takes a minimum of 12 weeks for a good repair, particularly with the rotator cuff. You really really need to baby that cuff and not to anything to compromise it. I can't speak to the slap repair, but as a person who lost 90% of my cuff for good, you do not want to risk it. Most retears occur in the first 12 weeks so you are still at a vulnerable time, no matter how good it feels!

Re: Is this a lot in one go? 2 years, 7 months ago #30768

• Trevtassie
      • Junior Boarder
      Things are going good 11 weeks out. Still not full range of movement yet, I can't surf quite yet because I can't get my arm out of the water enough to paddle properly, but I have managed to boogie board a couple of times in some decent waves (which is good for my broken ankle with the load from the flippers). Went snow shoeing too, and even all the poling didn't stir up my shoulder, did make my ankle ache though. Reckon my surgeon is a genius... patched me up really good. Just need to do some more work on ROM so I can get back on the surfboard. Strength is great, PT told me to bugger off and not come back unless I had any problems getting full ROM after a couple of months.

Trev

Re: Is this a lot in one go? 1 year, 10 months ago #31398

• Trevtassie
      • Junior Boarder
      Well, here it is a year later. Shoulder is great. I still don't have my original range of movement but everything else is great. As the surgeon said when I went for a final visit "you haven't got full range because that's the way I sewed you up". Can surf for around 3 hours, no problems, paddle my kayak and ride my bike 50km or so. Found the surfing (paddling) was really good for ROM. Because it's a resistance exercise there's no danger of overloading the joint like lifting things would cause and the reaching and stroking gets everything nicely stretched. Being worked by a wave was more risky, I tend to let my board go rather than hanging on, and had a couple of twinges when my arm was wrenched after I wiped out. But otherwise it all seems good compared to where I started.
      My broken ankle still aches though, I suspect that may be my lot for the rest of my life. So my advice is, you can stuff your shoulder but don't break your ankle!
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 237 guests online