More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

Failed Latarjet
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Failed Latarjet

Failed Latarjet 2 years, 3 months ago #31212

Hello everyone, I have been stalking these boards for several months now and need some help/support. I had a Latarjet with Coracoid process bone graft, bicep tenodesis, slap tear, and general tightening and clean up on November 12, 2014. It's now almost 9 weeks post-op and I am 99% positive that the surgery failed. At 8 weeks post-op, I woke up to extreme pain and realized my shoulder was dislocated. It stayed out for about six hours before the pain meds and muscle relaxers kicked in enough to let it pop back into place. Since then, it has subluxed twice, and dislocated again completely last night. I am at a loss. This is my second surgery on my shoulder, the first was ten years ago...an open Bankart repair that failed at 2 months post op also. I've seen my surgeon, who ordered a CT scan, but since I go through the VA, everything takes weeks if not months to process through. Anyway, does anybody out there know what's next? Do they typically just go in and fix Latarjet's? Can my bone graft have just disintegrated or snapped in half? What kind of outcome can I expect if I do have another surgery so soon after this one? Sorry for the rambling all, I'm just a little freaked out about this whole thing. It took me over a year to get the VA to operate this time, and I'm kind of afraid I'll have to live with this pain for another year or so before it gets better.

Re: Failed Latarjet 2 years, 3 months ago #31215

• aksantacruz
      • Expert Boarder
      Sorry to hear your story but only your surgical team can tell you what's going on... hang in there. You had a lot done on your shoulder. They should treat you better at the VA.

Re: Failed Latarjet 2 years, 3 months ago #31221

Isn't that the truth! Oh well, I guess all I can do is continue PT and hope it isn't messing up my shoulder even more. On a side note, I took pictures of my shoulder the last time it went out and my physical therapist agrees with me. He called it a nasty anterior dislocation. All I could do was laugh. The last time I told him, he was skeptical...I guess a picture really is worth a thousand words!

Re: Failed Latarjet 2 years, 3 months ago #31226

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      well, that is terrible. In response to your question, it is possible on occasion for the bone graft to resorb (disintegrate essentially) and typically that is a major cause of recurrence of instability. What were you doing when you dislocated again? depending on the state of the graft, it is possible to re-do the latarjet. If the graft is no longer good, then often times they will use a graft from the hip/iliac crest. Have they told you or do they know what caused the failure? For example, my soft tissue stabilization failed because i naturally have very shallow sockets and not a lot of surface area for my humerus. Hav they told you where they think the issue is? Bony related or was the capsule not reinforced enough? If you can get another opinion through the VA, I would recommend it. anytime there has been an issue with surgery, its very difficult to get answers from the surgeon who did the surgery. If you can get something like that going to allow the time it will take for something to get set up, i would recommend it. The CT will give you a lot of answers. Also, if the bone graft wasn't placed right and lined up perfectly with the socket, then it will also lead to ineffective results. But it is possible to re-do. The other option you may head brought up is an arthrodesis or shoulder fusion in which they essentially fuse the humerus and glenoid but obviously, that also means major sacrifices in function and i would highly recommend to avoid that at all costs if you can. it was brought up to me before i had the latarjet and obviously, i went with the latarjet (even though that in and of itself was a nightmare for me). Keep us posted on how you make out.
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re: Failed Latarjet 2 years, 3 months ago #31239

Well, it dislocated the first time at night while I was sleeping. Woke me up out of a dead sleep straight to excruciating pain. Since then it has steadily gotten worse. Its dislocating with the slightest movement. My physical therapist looked at my latest xrays and told me that not only is it dislocating, but my entire arm bone (can't remember what its called, the bone from shoulder to elbow) is rotating forwards and down. Basically my arm is twisting out of socket!

The VA hasn't answered any questions at all. And they can't even manage to get me in for a CT scan until the middle of February. As gas at a second opinion...well, there's only one shoulder surgeon for the whole of Oklahoma that I can go to...gotta love the VA.

Re: Failed Latarjet 2 years, 2 months ago #31255

• Amityvil
      • Fresh Boarder
      Hi there! The turn around time the VA is giving you is unacceptable! I highly recommend going directly to your Congressman and speaking with his/her Veteran Representative. I have a few friends who work as Veteran reps for Congressmen in Los Angeles and when a vet goes into the office with a VA complaint, it becomes a priority and gets resolved.

If you haven't done this already, do it! I hope that it will speed things up for you. You shouldn't have to wait and be expected to just deal with this pain.
      Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 296 guests and 1 member online
      Up