(1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: arthroscopic latarjet rehab

arthroscopic latarjet rehab 2 years, 1 month ago #31249

• buRns
      • Fresh Boarder
      hi,

first of all i have to apologize for my english - im swiss

i had in march 2014 a bankart repair which should had fixed my slap tear with 3 anchors. anyway it didnt worked... i still had pain and my instability. so i had last thursday my second shoulder surgery which was a arthroscopic latarjet. the surgeon told me to wear a sling for 2-5 days... tomorrow i will receive a shoulder moving machine which should help me to get my ROM back and improve the rehab. after one week post op im allowed to use my shoulder for light things... for example set the table or so. im a bit confused because in many forums i can read, that ppl had to wear the sling for more than a month and were not able to do sport for more than 4-6 months. he told me, that i will be back in bodybulding (my hobby) in less than 3 months.

is my surgeon too optimistic? i really dont want to rush into anything and risk to do a third surgery.

how was your rehab from a latarjet?

kind regards
      buRns

Re: arthroscopic latarjet rehab 2 years, 1 month ago #31253

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      i would say thats a very optimistic timeline given by your surgeon and wouldn't rely on what you're told. given that you already had a previous failed instability surgery, it wouldn't be wise to rush anything. given that your latarjet was arthroscopic, you don't have to wait for the subspap to heal like people who had the open version, but you still should be cautious to allow the bone to heal. doing light activities should still be fine early on, only if the graft is stressed is the risk for it not healing. but would i would be cautiously optimistic to the bodybuilding timeline. everyones rehab is different, some people have longer rehabs and others easy. many people have a lot of night pain and aching while the bone is healing.
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re: arthroscopic latarjet rehab 2 years, 1 month ago #31266

• buRns
      • Fresh Boarder
      thanks for your comment.

you i also thought the timeline is very optimistic. my surgeon also perated a ice hockey player (ex NHL also arthro. latarjet) and after 3 months he had his comeback... but dont know what is more stressing for the shoulder ice hockey or bodybuilding

pain has more or less gone... just if i do some "strange" movements i feel it but just for a few seconds. anyway im trying to stay patient.

next meeting with my surgeon is in 1 week (1 month post op).

regards
      buRns

Re: arthroscopic latarjet rehab 2 years, 1 month ago #31275

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      just remember that ice hockey players, retired or not, typically have a far more intensive rehab program and have the resources to see a physio almost daily...so their timelines are very rarely comparable to someone who goes, once, maybe twice a week. so just remember that!

keep us posted
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re: arthroscopic latarjet rehab 2 years ago #31315

• buRns
      • Fresh Boarder
      im now nearly 2 months post op.

my shoulder doesnt feel very good. i became the o.k to go running after week 6. after 5 mins i had so much pain, that i had to stop. my physio is also a bit disappointed of the surgery. he told me, that my shoulder is still too much sloppy. my humerushead has too much play. for example if i go downstairs and i dont flex my shoulder muscles i can feel how i get some subluxation. i road that the latarjet has just a 3-5% recurrence-rate... but that just counts total luxations and not subluxations
      dont know what to do...

next friday i have an appointment with my surgeon.

regards
      buRns

Re: arthroscopic latarjet rehab 2 years ago #31317

buRns, another thing the docs don't usually mention...you CAN dislocate that shoulder and still have the bone graft in place and fused! Have you had any problem with your shoulder blade winging out when lifting your arm? Apparently my current post-op dislocation are because my entire joint is now separating with movement...as in my shoulder blade wings out, my collarbone separates, and my humeral head rotates forward with any motion. I didn't even know it was possible, but it is. However, on a good note, the scapular winging can be treated with physical therapy or a really good brace, and if corrected it really helps with that feeling of instability in everyday situations.
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.46 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 230 guests online