Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
    Username Password: Remember me
    • Page:

TOPIC: How long to wear sling?

How long to wear sling? 7 years, 5 months ago #1368

• mklein49
    • Fresh Boarder
    I had surgery last Wednesday on March 28th. I just got back from my one week post-op checkup. The orthopedic was out of town so I saw another doctor. This doctor told me I did not really need the sling anymore? I was under the impression from my orthopedic and this board I would need at about 4 weeks in the sling. I'm confused. The doc who saw me said it was not a big deal, because my rotator cuff was fine and all that was repaired was a SLAP lesion. He said it was secured good and not require the sling. Any thoughts on this? I think I'll wait until I have my 2 week postop appointment with my orthopedic before losing the sling?

Any thoughts on the surgery report. Was my shoulder not that bad?

Here is from the surgery report:

Findings: There was a SLAP lesion mainly involving the posteior aspect of the labrum. In addition, there was a small inferior labral tear. There was generalized laxity in the shoulder. It was felt appropriate to repair the SLAP lesion and not repair the inferior labral lesion.

Procedure: ...In addition to the above, the rotator cuff appeared to be normal.

We elected to proceed with a repair of the SLAP lesion...One Suture-Tak was then placed...The labrum was then tied down with a sliding knot and four knots for security. A nice repair was achieved.

Re:How long to wear sling? 7 years, 5 months ago #1369

• Docfranco
    • Fresh Boarder
    I had surgery March 9th, subacromial decompression and SLAP repair with no biceps tendon involvement, my sling lasted 2-4 days. I also only had 1 anchor. i am in my 3rd week of rehab, started codman circles the day after my surgery.

Good luck

Re:How long to wear sling? 7 years, 5 months ago #1370

• chykcha
    • Platinum Boarder
    Hey, I would wait and check with the surgeon. Don't reinjure your shoulder without a sling.

Re:How long to wear sling? 7 years, 5 months ago #1371

• Docfranco
    • Fresh Boarder
    chykcha
    I cleared it with the surgeon and i got a copy of the post surgery report to see exactly what was done. I am a chiropractor and am very familiar with the anatomy.

Re:How long to wear sling? 7 years, 5 months ago #1372

• mklein49
    • Fresh Boarder
    I think I'm going to wait to hear from my surgeon as chykcha suggested. I just want to make sure there's no chance I screw this up. I know I don't want to go through surgery again!

Re:How long to wear sling? 7 years, 5 months ago #1373

• Andy
    • Administrator
    First off, welcome to the site!

There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions on the sling. Orthos seem to be anywhere between full imobilization for 4 weeks, to partial with a sling for 4 weeks, all the way to complete removal after a few days.

I remember not getting a clear picture. When I called the surgery center they said I could remove it on day two. I followed up with the doc and he said no way, your in that until 4 weeks. His reason was he wanted to make sure that the labrum would at least begin to reattach before I pushed it.

Only your doctor has seen inside your shoulder, I usually follow their directions...
    • Page:
    Time to create page: 0.62 seconds
    Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 118 guests and 1 member online