Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: SLAP success story

SLAP success story 4 years ago #16923

• FLbeach321
  • Expert Boarder
Hi everyone. Well, I'm hoping to be a success story like everyone else here, lol. So far so good! I dislocated my shoulder and kept getting a painful catching from torn labrum getting caught up in joint. I had surgery on April 1st for Labrum tear with 3 anchors and bone spur removed. I had no capsule shrinkage, no rotater repair, no tendon repair, etc. Just labrum from 1 oclock to 5 oclock and bone spur. Supposed to be in sling for 11 days. Was in it for about 7days then took it off cause it feels much better without it. However, I'm not working and just sitting on couch with arm on pillow as if it were in a sling, so kind of the same thing. There's no pressure on shoulder. Doc wanted early ROM so started PT day after surgery. Passive side raises to 90 degrees, and passive front raises to 90 degrees. ON 8th day post op I started same range but with using just my arm weight(not assissted at all). Then when I'm done with that I do passive with stick to push arm front raise higher than 90degrees. PT said that I can go as high as i want in front but stay at 90degrees on side. No external rotation until week 3. So far I just have the post op pain but the catching pain for which i had the surgery is gone. I'll keep updating as time goes on. Thanks and good luck everyone

Re:SLAP success story 4 years ago #16925

• dkm_dude
  • Fresh Boarder
Good to see someone doing well.... I was in BAD shape after my bankart repair that soon out. Just a little FYI, make sure you follow your OS's protocol to the freaking T!!! I say this because personally, mine was quite different from yours (6 weeks of nothing but sling, then PT) but I too am a success story. That sling time was brutal, especially after reading about some people getting out in as little as a week! Another tip I can give you (are you asking, ha! idk but here goes) is just stay motivated and get through the PT....it is so easy to slack and "forget" to do exercises, i'm guilty of it myself, but I always find i'm feeling better when i'm keeping on my daily exercises even 7 months post op.

Re:SLAP success story 4 years ago #16928

• FLbeach321
  • Expert Boarder
thanks for the reply! yes, all the advice is more than welcome! glad to hear your a success story. I was told that docs want people out of slings alot sooner now. Again, mine was JUST a labrum repair. PT told me that other proceedures such as rotator repair, capsule shrinkage, etc., are a lot longer in sling. So far everything is going great. My biggest problem was the "catching pain". I can tell that is GONE but i just have the surgery pain to get over now. Doc said that my joint actually got tighter on its own while i was doing the conservative approach. so i never had a problem with "loose" shoulder. If it weren't for the pain in from the labrum getting caught in joint, i probably wouldnt have even asked for the surgery.

Re:SLAP success story 4 years ago #16936

• dkm_dude
  • Fresh Boarder
in a kind of ironic way, it might have been for the best that you were in severe pain before surgery...by the time i got my surgery scheduled i had the pain dialed back to about a 1 or 2 maybe a 3 or 4 at night, so after surgery...when i was more like a 6 or 7 and slinged up 6 weeks feeling like a caged animal, i couldn't help but think to myself, "why in the hell did i do this!!!" glad i did now though!

Re:SLAP success story 4 years ago #16938

• suprabhat
  • Fresh Boarder
I did SLAP Surgery on May 15th (4 weeks ago), with 1 anchor and 2 stitch. How long did you wear the sling (i am still wearing)? what are the PT workouts for the 4th week (i am doing basic PROM exercise like pendulum & isometric exercise? Please reply

Re:SLAP success story 4 years ago #16942

• cmid
  • Junior Boarder
Sounds like you are doing well! I had labrum repair (1 anchor for tear 11-2) and am seeing physio for the first time Thursday (3 weeks from Op). I'm in the UK and things do seem to be done quite differently here but it does always depend on your OS. I was out of the sling for some of the time after day 3 but only because I was sitting on the sofa playing xbox...

Very useful at night to have the arm in the sling with a pillow wraped around it, it stopped me rolling over and hurting it and I relaxed a lot more knowing I was unlikly going to wake up laying on my operated shoulder!!

Good luck with the recovery and will be interested to see what exercises they ask you to do through your recovery!
1 anchor SLAP tear 11-2 - Op 24 March 2010
Time to create page: 3.98 seconds
Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 197 guests online