Depression and Shoulder Surgery
    (1 viewing) (1) Guest
    • Page:

TOPIC: Depression and Shoulder Surgery

Depression and Shoulder Surgery 4 years, 1 month ago #18075

• sskylor
    • Platinum Boarder
    • Physical Therapist/Patient
    SLAP tear surgery recovery is long and at times we do question whether we made a mistake especially when we have issues post-op.
    Naturally there are highs and lows in the months following.

During months 3-5 during recovery, it is really common to slide into mild depression even with a good recovery. Sleep deprivation and surgery recovery can deplete many things. The book called the "Mood Cure" by Julia Ross has some incredibly useful information to help identify specific issues and ways to supplement. For me supplementing with natural enorphin-boosting Amino Acids called DLPA made all the difference. The book is worth its weight in gold.

Re:Depression and Shoulder Surgery 4 years, 1 month ago #18100

• cdbaspy
    • Gold Boarder
    Its my nonprofessional, but completely sane, opinion, that spammers should be skinned alive by individuals recovering from slap tear surgery. I feel it would do wonders for their self-esteem and rehab while removing a troublesome annoyance.

In all seriousness. Depression after surgery and during the long rehab process is very real. Going into surgery some will feel that things will be a cake walk as long as you do what your told and for some that is the case. For others things arent so simple. There's the questions such as, "have i screwed up the repair?" every time we start to feel some pain months post-op; "is there something else wrong?", "did I make a mistake in having surgery?" These are all questions I have had to face. The upside of going through this, is that it has made me re-evaluate the priorities in my life. Before my injury, my job was just that, a job, nothing more. I lived for physical activity, its what was important to me. I revolved around it. After the injury I realized that A) no one in the chemical industry is going to give a damn as to how much I can bench, squat and deadlift, None of those are going to put food on a table for a future family and C) When I die, whether tomorrow or years down the road, none of those things will matter.

Granted I do want to get back to the physical things I enjoy which was mostly just beating the crap out of my body in different ways. But If I can't, it won't be the end of the road for me.

If you can't transfer the success and lessons learned from one area of your life to the others, then what good is any of it. Just my two and a half cents.
    • Page:
    Time to create page: 0.70 seconds
    Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 316 guests and 3 members online