Latest Topics

No posts to display.

More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

Poll: For those at least 6 months postop!
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Poll: For those at least 6 months postop!

Poll: For those at least 6 months postop! 9 years, 6 months ago #2099

• chykcha
      • Platinum Boarder
      For those at least 6 months postop: Having gone through this, would you recommend surgery or not?

With all the members, I am seriously curious to find out if the stats for these are overinflated. It's not a scientific study, of course, but interesting nonetheless. When I was getting ready for my first surgery, I did a bit of research and what I found was encouraging. After surgery, I came up on a statistical analysis, which stated that the stats of actual success of surgical SLAP repair is severely overstated and in reality is much lower.

Thanks for your vote!

Re:Pole for those at least 6 months postop! 9 years, 6 months ago #2100

• cmillz31
      • Junior Boarder
      I'm 4 months and a week out.i had no idea it would be this bad.but i'm tryin to stay positive.

Re:Pole for those at least 6 months postop! 9 years, 6 months ago #2101

• karenm
      • Platinum Boarder
      I know you said 6 months but I'm at 4 months and 2 weeks. Now that the pain is easing, I would recommend the surgery. The important thing is you also need to explain everything that is associated with the surgery. Total recovery time, commitment to PT, and positive attitude. I would say, if the person can live with pain and it doesn't interrupt their quality of life then skip the surgery. If the pain is interfering with their life then you must have the surgery. There was no way I could have not had the surgery-I was in too much pain. Sometimes I don't think the patient gets the whole picture about the surgery and recovery time. So when the shoulder doesn't improve as fast as they would like then the second guessing starts. Am I doing something wrong, when is this going to get better, I shouldn't have had this done. Bottom line is, ask questions before the surgery so you know what is involved.

Karen

Re:Pole for those at least 6 months postop! 9 years, 6 months ago #2102

• scrapper62
      • Senior Boarder
      I've had surgery on both of my shoulders in the past 11 months. I don't know what to say. I went through hell. I became out of shape while recovering, and am busting my butt to get back to where I was before surgery. The constant soreness after workouts, clunking, and lack of range of motion have been discouraging. I hope it comes back.

Re:Pole for those at least 6 months postop! 9 years, 6 months ago #2103

• Ashley
      • Expert Boarder
      I am one year out and have a two-part answer.

Part 1. I am a success story, so would do it over again based on where I am today.

Part 2. Would I recommend it to others? Only if they can answer yes to ALL of the following:
      Is your pain stopping you from your routine activities?
      Is your pain preventing you from sleeping?
      Are you 100% committed to therapy for a minimum of 4-6 months?
      Do you fully understand the risks of the surgery?
      Do you understand that the surgery may not eliminate your pain?

Re:Poll for those at least 6 months postop! 9 years, 6 months ago #2109

• chykcha
      • Platinum Boarder
      Thank you all for your responses. There must be at least a hundred members here, who could contribute and people, who are considering this would benefit.
      Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 229 guests online
      Up