Username Password: Remember me

8 1/2 weeks post op bicep tenodesis - bicep pain
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: 8 1/2 weeks post op bicep tenodesis - bicep pain

8 1/2 weeks post op bicep tenodesis - bicep pain 1 year, 10 months ago #26836

• kodyhead
  • Fresh Boarder
I am 8 1/2 weeks post op bicep tenodesis and labral repair. Shoulder feels good. I was experiencing sharp pain at the new bicep attachment area [top of humerus]. That pain subsided around week 7. Now I am experiencing sharp pain in the lower/middle bicep. I feel this pain with any palm up movements. Has anybody have or had the same type of pain? All thoughts would be welcome. Thank you

Re: 8 1/2 weeks post op bicep tenodesis - bicep pain 1 year, 10 months ago #26869

• jpwith
  • Fresh Boarder
I am at about the same point you are. Just a SLAP repair and capsule tightening though, no tenodesis. I've been getting all kinds of sharps pains in places far from the joint. The most common is where the deltoid attaches to the humerus (I can't remember if its the origin or insertion, college was too long ago) It started out much higher, almost on top of the joint and it's slowly moving outward. The PT says weird pains like that are just signs of healing. Maybe your pain is the same. I am trying not to worry about it too much unless the pain is excessive or lasts more than a few days, which hasn't happened yet. I hope it resolves for you.

Re: 8 1/2 weeks post op bicep tenodesis - bicep pain 1 year, 9 months ago #27398

• SCBuono
  • Fresh Boarder
Also am 8.5 weeks post-op on a biceps tenodesis, and am both grateful and saddened to read that I am not alone in my pain. (Grateful because I was beginning to think the surgeon had left a screwdriver in my shoulder; but saddened to find that this probably isn't the case, and no quick "screwdriver-ectomy" is gonna make me feel better.)

First, on my RIGHT shoulder I've had three sugeries for SLAP and full-thickness supraspinatus tears, which together also included a Mumford, various combinations of acromioplasty and debriding, and a total of five anchors (one more and I think they name a Navy ship after me). I start with that because, after all three of those, by week three or four, I could say two things: 1) if I don't move anything, nothing hurts; and 2) the overall pain level is decreasing over time, and will soon be below that of my pre-surgery existence.

Now, roughly two months ago, on the LEFT shoulder, I had a biceps tenodesis, a Mumford, repairs of tears in the supraspinatus and subscapularis, and the usual debriding and general removal of loose shreds and shards of stuff that aren't supposed to be in there. THIS TIME, however, I am SO UNCOMFORTABLE I want to cry. It started about four weeks after surgery, when it started feeling like someone was digging a spoon into my shoulder blade. By week five I had the addition of DEEP [what I call] BONE PAIN, not surprising, given the nature of a tenodesis. But it not only continues, it's getting worse. Around week six I started having stinging pain running down my biceps in front, and my triceps on the side--both continuing, and getting more frequent. To cap things off, I also have bouts of what feels like a pinched nerve in both my elbow and wrist (referred pain?). All of these come and go throughout the day, and especially like to gang up on me at night, making sleep difficult at best. There is often no way I can rest my arm that is not UNCOMFORTABLE. (I wouldn't call it pain as much as serious DISCOMFORT.)

I've been doing PT for two weeks now, and range of motion is excellent--which always surprises me, since my orthopod always has me stay immobilized for the first six weeks. The part that concerns me the most is that I've been taking Lortab 7.5s. about 5-6 daily for the last four weeks of growing pain and sleepless nights, and they only HELP. I have about four days' worth left, and am DREADING what awaits me.

Seriously, IS THIS NORMAL????? I know I had a lot of stuff done, but when I saw my surgeon at the six-week mark, he seemed surprised I was SOO uncomfortable. He put a steroid shot in my shoulder blade area, and that did zip for me. NOW I'm wondering if I need to go see him again to ensure he didn't leave a screwdriver in there, or of, NO KIDDING, this is what happens.

Is anyone else THIS MISERABLE????

Re: 8 1/2 weeks post op bicep tenodesis - bicep pain 1 year, 8 months ago #27615

• Cozy
  • Fresh Boarder
I understand your pain and discomfort. I have my biceps tendonesis and subacromial decompression Nov 30th and it has been a difficult road to say the least. I get so frustrated when talking to my orthodox Dr and workman's comp Dr as they don't seem to understand how uncomfortable this all is and yes, I am still in a lot of pain 2 months post op! Sleeping was horrible before surgery but it is so much worse now which doesn't help with my healing, getting a decent amout of good sleep is vital to healing. Right now I rely on a high dose of pain meds that I need to take on the clock. They never get rid of all the pain throughout the day but they do help.

I am hoping that I am just one of the unusual cases and just a slower healer. The concern is that not only do I have pain from the surgery and anatomical change, I am starting to feel the discomfort I felt before my surgery which worries me. The nerve issues I have now do come and go so hopefully they will just go one day and never come back.

Point is, you are not alone, although it may feel that way when the Dr looks at you like they don't understand why you're uncomfortable. I am right there with you and we will get through this. Its a tough road but when I think back to the first days after surgery I am better than those days today so that's something good!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds
Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 106 guests online