Username Password: Remember me

4 weeks Post Latarjet Shoulder Surgery
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: 4 weeks Post Latarjet Shoulder Surgery

4 weeks Post Latarjet Shoulder Surgery 3 years, 10 months ago #28379

• MoSeS
      • Fresh Boarder
      Hello fellows, well its been 4 weeks no.. i wanted to update n ask a few questions..pain is minimal.. mostly centered at the back of shoulder n over the shoulder blade n i m feeling much n much better as days r passing. i m still in sling ..will continue till i meet my surgeon on saturday..i m doing light elbow flexions, wrist n forearms exercises..with some neck stretches and scapular protractions..i can feel those muscles which wer inactive kinda over stretched in these years. i m worried about my scapular symmetry.. they r kinda tilted upward n potruding. my doc says they will get better wen i start physio.my serratus , lars n trapezius r very weak.its very hard to strech n correct my posture
      my question is how long will it take to start normal daily activities..like combing, bathing, running,riding my motorbike, light activities..sleeping on the operated shlder n what should i expect 2 mnths post op

Re: 4 weeks Post Latarjet Shoulder Surgery 3 years, 10 months ago #28382

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      once you're out of the sling and can start pushing ROM a bit more, you will start noticing more improvement more quickly, not to mention better scapular position once you're out of the sling. It can take a few months to start noticing strength improvement to the point where daily activities aren't a strenuous task. Things like combing hair really depend on how quickly you regain ROM and varies considerably between individuals so it's hard to give you a timeline. If for example at 6 weeks all your ROM restrictions are removed and there are no setbacks, combing your hair perhaps between 8-12 weeks (again hard to say how fast you regain ROM). Running can take some time because it can cause a lot of jarring upon impact after each stride and arm swing can actually be quite fatiguing on the shoulder. I would likely say closer to 12 weeks for that. Riding your motorbike you'd likely need clearance from your OS? I'm not sure if you mean just riding a motorcycle on city streets or actual off road motorbiking. If motorcycle, likely much sooner then motorbiking. Sleeping on the shoulder can take a lot of time before it's comfortable again and because most people can feel the bone graft when laying on the shoulder...it's really just something most people try for short periods of time each night and gradually rolling more and more onto the shoulder until you no longer notice the issue of the graft. Most people is a couple of months before it's comfortable. All in all, you should notice things start to improve much quicker once you're out of the sling with the ability to more comfortably perform daily tasks.

hope that helps.
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re: 4 weeks Post Latarjet Shoulder Surgery 3 years, 10 months ago #28386

• LorenzoSC
      • Senior Boarder
      Hi Moses,
      glad to hear that everything is goin on smoothly.
      Scapular dyskinesia is typical after Latarjet surgery, it is an aftermath of instability, though. I had the very same problem and was fixed by PT and, after 3 months, swimming.

....about your questions:

combing: after 2 months, as long as overhead activities are cleared by PT;
      running: was 2 months for me, my OS said 1 month but my therapist cautioned me; the first time was quite painful, though;
      riding motorbike: don't know since I'm not a biker but I guess 2 to 3 months, ask you therapist because it will definitely depend on your own recovery timeline;
      sleeping on the operated side: I did it comfortably after 3 months.

Take care!
      "Subice te rationi, si tibi subicere vis omnia."

Re: 4 weeks Post Latarjet Shoulder Surgery 3 years, 9 months ago #28392

• MoSeS
      • Fresh Boarder
      Thank u both.. well right now i v not been prescribed any shoulder rom movts ...may after sling is removed..yes scapular dyskinesis is a b1tch..i have this in both the shoulders, one coz of chronic instability and in other coz of over use..i m pretty much sure about wat u guys said.i hav my appntmnt with my os on monday...mental pressure is far more difficult to cope up u seee this feeling of restlessness pinches u every moment..btw i can still hear those cracking sounds sometimes..n whenever i remove the sling to tak a bath or do some stretching i can feel the upper body trying to get in symmetry..which is a good ray of hope for me..i feel proud of u guys...its very difficult n it takes a big deal of mental strength to come out of a bad shoulder mentally..
      Last Edit: 3 years, 9 months ago by MoSeS.

Re: 4 weeks Post Latarjet Shoulder Surgery 3 years, 9 months ago #28393

• MoSeS
      • Fresh Boarder
      i m posting the pre op..glenoid ct n post op x ray
      Attachments:

Re: 4 weeks Post Latarjet Shoulder Surgery 3 years, 9 months ago #28397

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      Hi Moses,

I imagine you'll get the go ahead for shoulder ROM on monday when you see your OS. I looked at your CT, quite the bony bankart...no soft tissue stabilization would have kept you from dislocating that's for sure. Do you have staples closing your incision? That's a pretty long incision and comes pretty far over your humerus...mine is much shorter, about half that (I think 6-7cm), which my OS said was even long for a latarjet incision.

No doubt the mental aspect of recovery can be much more difficult to deal with then the physical pain...I can definitely attest to that. I've had plenty of days where I just don't see any point to doing my rehab exercises, because at this point, after 8 surgeries I wonder what the point is because I don't see it getting better. Then, I take a step back, re-evaluate why I'm still going to PT and pushing myself through the pain and realize that if I just stop and accept what I have, well then for sure I won't improve...or, I can suck it up, keep making small goals for myself and put in 100% and just see what happens. At least I won't have any regrets if I give it all I've got. It takes a lot of patience....shoulders take a long time to get back into sync, regain ROM and build strength. If you go into this surgery expecting to be one of the ones that will be back to 100% within 6 months, I'll tell you right now...there is a very good chance you'll be very frustrated and unhappy with your outcome. My best advice, plan for a year and hey, if you're lucky and fully recovered at 6 months...well then, be thrilled!

Keep us posted on your recovery.
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.49 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 151 guests online