More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: CryoCuff for recovery

CryoCuff for recovery 1 year, 11 months ago #31359

Hi

I am getting a SLAP repair within the next 9 weeks after a year fighting with doctors trying to find out what was wrong with my shoulder. I am looking into the recovery phase of my injury and have been investigating ways to make it more comfortable. Now I am likely going to be back at work 1 - 2 weeks after surgery according to my surgeon since I have a desk job. One of the things that I have seen mentioned is the use of a CryoCuff. Does anyone have any experience of these and are they worth it? I am unlikely to have access to ice pack/freezer at work when I return, would it be worth having a CryoCuff for this?

Any information/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: CryoCuff for recovery 1 year, 11 months ago #31361

• JonBoy
      • Junior Boarder
      I don't have experience with a Cryocuff, but yes during those first 3-4 weeks you are going to want to keep ice on it pretty regularly. What I do want to say, Is I would recommend taking 2-3 weeks off work, this is not something you will want to try to work through, that arm needs to just rest, have ice on it, and you need to be able to take pain meds which can be hard to do at work.

Also, I don't know the extent of your Slap tear but I had an unsuccessful Slap repair, a year later I had it revised with a Tenodesis that was successful. Offering my hindsight I would absolutely recommend getting a tenodesis in the first place (I sure wish I did) there is a lot of articles about the success of a tenodesis vs. Slap repair. Sounds like you have time, so do some research. The tenodesis was a walk in the park compared to a slap repair.

Best of luck!
      10-24-2013 L shoulder SLAP repair
      10-14-2014 R shoulder Bankart repair -5 anchors
      1-1-2015 L shoulder Tenodesis - 1 anchor
      8-7-2015 Stem Cell Transplant to both shoulders

Re: CryoCuff for recovery 1 year, 11 months ago #31380

• Aquarius76
      • Fresh Boarder
      CryoCuff can be very effective but you want to be mindful of what your trying to do with it.

Cold compression is the best thing for bring down swelling and reducing pain. The thing is, you don't want to do it for hours on end. Cryogenic therapy also slows down the metabolic rate of the affected tissues. It reduces circulation. This is fine to get past the spikes in pain and swelling, but on a regular basis, you want your body to heal and constant cryogenic therapy will interfere with that. It is definitely possible to have too much cryo therapy. If you run for too long, you risk damage from hypothermia, particularly if you fall asleep with it on. Your doc isn't going to say not to get it, but he/she is going to say its a little more than you probably need and caution you on using it too much.

The best thing you can do for your recovery is to use cryogenics therapy sparingly but feel free to use it when you need it. There are some good compression ice packs out there. Get a decent one that uses removable packs and that comes with a few spare packs that you put in the freezer. Then go out and buy some of those chemical medical ice packs that are one time use. When you're at home you can use the freezer packs. If it's good quality, a single pack will last plenty long enough out of the freezer and if you are really bad you can cycle through 2 or 3. Beyond that you're probably going too far. When you go to work, just take the wrap with you and one or two chemical packs. If you need it at work then just crack a one time use pack, put it in the wrap and you're good to go. Those things can stay cold for a long time. Watch for frost bite though in the first 30 mins because they start out too cold sometimes. You'll spend a lot less $ with this solution too.

When you're at work, my advice is not to take pain killers. You're most likely to reinjure yourself at work, so masking the pain is a BAD idea. You need to respect the pain. You don't need to suffer, that's why you have the cold compression wrap, but if you need it constantly then you're doing yourself harm and shouldn't be at work. Save the pain killers to help you sleep if you really need them.

If you really want to spend the money to get the best recovery you can get a diathermy solution to start using a couple weeks after surgery. You can get a high end ultrasound machine or short wave therapy or Blood Flow Stimulator (BFST wrap). Don't use tens or microcurrent or laser stuff, those aren't real medical devices, just gimmicks. Your doctor can help you pick something here. Note that diathermy is the opposite of something like a cryo-wrap which tells you again that cold therapy isn't what you're looking for as a long term solution - just for getting through the flare-ups.

I'm new here so I'm not going to go recommending products, but you can do the research pretty easily yourself. There are several review sites like shouldericepacks.com or amazon if you're so inclined that can get you started on your search.

Re: CryoCuff for recovery 1 year, 10 months ago #31391

• fmalloy
      • Junior Boarder
      I don't have experience with the CryoCuff, but I am on my second SLAP/Bankart repair (yes, both L and R shoulders) and I have used the DonJoy Iceman3 both times and I recommend it as mandatory, not optional.

Crushed ice or frozen peas doesn't cut it. The ice machine delivers cold therapy continuously for hours. The cold water jacket/pad is more efficient than crushed ice sitting on top. You don't get condensation so you don't get wet.

One recommendation is to freeze containers of water, like a butter tub size, and dump the block into the bucket instead of ice cubes. The big mass stays colder longer. Also recommend to wrap the unit in towels or blankets to insulate. Keeps it cold for 8 hours without adding new ice.

All they need is space to fit a six pack and it would be perfect.
      Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by fmalloy.
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 554 guests online