SLAP Surgery: fear of retear at 10 Weeks
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: SLAP Surgery: fear of retear at 10 Weeks

SLAP Surgery: fear of retear at 10 Weeks 1 year, 9 months ago #31406

• Tobi237
      • Fresh Boarder
      Hello All,

I'm out of a SLAP surgery (2 anchors anterior, biceps anchor is fine) on my left shoulder for 12 1/2 weeks now. Recovery was going good and I had almost zero pain during the day and night.

At around week 10 (2 1/2 weeks ago) I opened the fridge and something fell out. Reflexively I was trying to grab it with my operated arm (left). During this motion my arm was stuck inside one of the cabinets in the fridge.

The motion I made was basically pushing inwards with a sligthly bend elbow against resistance. During the motion I had like 2 pops in the front of my shoulder which didn't hurt. Afterwards I needed some time to calm down and then tried all my ROM exercises and resistance band exercises. None of them hurt or had less ROM. Around 2 weeks ago my shoulder started to hurt and I got the same deep burning/aching pain in the back and sometimes front of the shoulder. I spoke to my OS and PT and they both think I'm fine after they checked my shoulder.

I'm just worried that by pulling on the biceps I've retorn part of my labrum.... And now I'm back to the same deep burning shoulder pain I had before the surgery for 2 weeks already.

Do you think I've done some damage to the repair by using my biceps too much at 10 weeks out from surgery?

Thank you very much for your help!

Tobi

Re: SLAP Surgery: fear of retear at 10 Weeks 1 year, 9 months ago #31407

Hi Tobi,

I had SLAP surgery 2 years ago in June and would probably wait another week or so before calling the doctor again. Mine seemed quick to brush off any pain as normal, but you know your body better than anyone else. Have you tried taking Aleve? My advice would be continue to do PT and if pain continues, talk to your doctor again.

Re: SLAP Surgery: fear of retear at 10 Weeks 1 year, 9 months ago #31410

• JonBoy
      • Junior Boarder
      Tobi,

I think you are fine....it sounds like you were pretty lucky to have such little pain so soon. The thing that I have noticed with my surgeries is the healing goes in phases (sometimes completely independent of your actions) like for one of my surgeries it would be painful for a week, then the next two weeks would be fine, then painful for a few days, then another week would be fine again. I think it just goes through these phases as everything is healing and readjusting. Also the further out from surgery I get, the more pops and clicks that happen, and again, they usually make the arm feel better if anything. Now if you have pain that doesn't go away for months (which is what I'm having on one of mine, then I think there is a problem) but yours will probably clear up. 10 weeks and everything is pretty scared down.

So I think you are all good rest easy, worry is no good for healing
      10-24-2013 L shoulder SLAP repair
      10-14-2014 R shoulder Bankart repair -5 anchors
      1-1-2015 L shoulder Tenodesis - 1 anchor
      8-7-2015 Stem Cell Transplant to both shoulders

Re: SLAP Surgery: fear of retear at 10 Weeks 1 year, 9 months ago #31429

• Tobi237
      • Fresh Boarder
      JonBoy,

thanks for your reply!

I'm now 14 weeks out from surgery (4 weeks since the incident), the pain has imrpoved, but on some days it is coming back. Mostly on the backside of the shoulder around the bottom of the scapula or in the front of the shoulder on the biceps.

On my Docotr's order I will start swimming breaststroke today and see how it goes. I figured out that when I go on the stairmaster for 20 mintes the pain goes away completely for a few hours. Also icing the shoulder gives temporary relief. So lets see how the shoulder feels the next few weeks. I have another follow up appointment with my doctor in 3 weeks and will discuss this with him.

Re: SLAP Surgery: fear of retear at 10 Weeks 1 year, 8 months ago #31434

• JonBoy
      • Junior Boarder
      That's funny what you say about having no pain on the stair-stepper because I experience the same thing. I Have been progressively going for longer and longer runs and when I'm in the middle of a run I feel nothing, it's absolute bliss! I think the gentle arm swing is good for the shoulders and I also think endorphin plays a large role in that. But I have found in my recovery if I get myself to break a sweat almost everyday I tend to feel a lot better. Granted I'm not lifting weights yet like I would like to but just anything to break a sweat, Therabands, Leg workouts, ....did only abs the other day until I almost cried....it.felt.great!
      10-24-2013 L shoulder SLAP repair
      10-14-2014 R shoulder Bankart repair -5 anchors
      1-1-2015 L shoulder Tenodesis - 1 anchor
      8-7-2015 Stem Cell Transplant to both shoulders

Re: SLAP Surgery: fear of retear at 10 Weeks 1 year, 8 months ago #31444

• Tobi237
      • Fresh Boarder
      Hi,

I just want to give you an update. It's now 18 weeks since the surgery and 8 weeks since I had the incident.

Unfortunatley I stil have pain in the front and back of the shoulder and it feels like before I had surgery. This kind of freaks me out

Three weeks ago I started to swim breaststroke on my doctors order. Swimming is perfectly fine and I have zero pain. It's just the pain at rest when doing nothing that concerns me.

I had the last follow up appointment with my Doctor last week. He was very happy with my strength and rom. Unfortunatley during that time I had almost no pain so we didn't talk about that. But now the pain is back.

I guess the only think I can do right now is waiting it out and continue with my PT exercises which is kind of frustrating right now.....

Thanks everybody for the support!
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.50 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online