Username Password: Remember me

Day to Day Living - Post OP
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Day to Day Living - Post OP

Day to Day Living - Post OP 7 years, 7 months ago #12854

• GMWisconsin
      • Gold Boarder
      • RC & Biceps Tenodesis 10/09 and 2nd Repair 6/2010
      Just found out a week ago that I need rotator cuff surgery for a tear of 2 tendons -the front and top- and my surgeon will be doing an open surgery versus arthro since the damage is more extensive. Will be doing this sometime in October and would like to take advantage of the lead time to try and do some pre-planning to make my life a little simpler. I realize that this is going to be a long haul and from what I am reading pain meds will be a staple in my life (this for someone whose drug of choice is Advil).

What I am really looking for are answers on the simple things, how to eat, what to wear, how do you wash your hair and style it, etc. etc and all the other things I take for granted. Needless to say, the shoulder in question is my dominant right one.

Thanks for any leads and input you can give. This website has really helped.

Re:Day to Day Living - Post OP 7 years, 7 months ago #12857

• pfl101
      • Senior Boarder
      I took one vicodin after surgery and that was it. No ice, pain pills--anything. You might have the same results as I did.

As for hygiene, get a sling that you can use in the shower to support your arm. You'll learn to do things with the single hand like we all did. It sucks but hang in there and good luck!

Re:Day to Day Living - Post OP 7 years, 7 months ago #12859

• johnt0148
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Bi-lateral SLAP Tear Surgeries
      Slap tear and rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders in past 3 1/2 months has an education. You need someone to take care of you for a few days. Anestesia and pain medications affect the mind and body so it really helps to have someone you can trust be there to help. Get a cold water therapy machine and wear it out for the first 5 days. Listnen to guided imagery on preparing for a sucessful surgery, it helped me face the terror of my first surgery. Listen to you surgeon and physical therapist and be patient with them and youself. You will have both good and bad days, but keep a positive mind. This website has many good hearted folks who can offer a lot of support, so keep us informed.
      John

Re:Day to Day Living - Post OP 7 years, 7 months ago #12860

• GMWisconsin
      • Gold Boarder
      • RC & Biceps Tenodesis 10/09 and 2nd Repair 6/2010
      John-
      Thanks for the input. Will keep you posted and will definitely check on the cold water therapy machine.
      BOTH shoulders? I think I would lose my mind as I am not a very good sick person.!

Re:Day to Day Living - Post OP 7 years, 7 months ago #12861

• illini
      • Junior Boarder
      (copied following one one of Sharon's posts) Go to FORUM - General Discussions to thread called Ashleys top 10 for great pre-op tips. Also Surgery heading thread called Surgery in 10 days on 8/1/2009.

Other tips: start practing now with your left hand - brushing teeth, hair, shaving, going to bathroom (sorry), buttoning shirts, pants, putting on socks, etc.

Get liquid soap and shampoo and put them in pump bottles for showers. A back scrubber helps get lots of places you won't be able to reach - I figured out how to scrub the arm pit of my good arm with it. Aerosol deodorant instead of stick. Button down shirts - short sleeve are much easier.

Get the ice/cold water machine for sure. I lived with it running for about 2 weeks, and still use it after PT (i'm 5 weeks post op).

Good luck - it's not fun but there are lots of things you can do to make it tolerable.

Re:Day to Day Living - Post OP 7 years, 7 months ago #12863

• tadmanny
      • Expert Boarder
      I just have a quick question. My friend nudged my arm 3-5 times getting pumped up after a game. He totally forgot about my injury. I'm just wondering if he could've done any damage to it. He was prob at like 50 percent force, like somthing that you would do after a touchdown is scored.
      Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 180 guests online
      Up