Username Password: Remember me

Frustration with shoulder injury
    (1 viewing) (1) Guest
    • Page:

TOPIC: Frustration with shoulder injury

Frustration with shoulder injury 4 years, 11 months ago #13811

• abutler69
    • Senior Boarder
    First I injured my shoulder at work on 9/23/09 and I have been back and forth between doctor surgeon who gave me a steroid injection that did not work and the PT is making this worse pain. I had the first MRI done on 10/5/09 and it should a tear and that's when the surgeon said he didn't see it and gave me the injection. The doctor has done injections with lodicaine which didn't help either finally the did the MRI w/ contrast .I had a MRI w/contrast done and it found 1. (Labrum) there is mildly irregular contrast extending into the superior labrum posterior to the biceps anchor, consistent with a SLAP lesion. The paralabral cyst in the spinoglenoid notch has resolved in the interval. The patient has a sublabral foramen in the anterior-superior quadrant, which is a normal anatomic variant. At approximately the level of the equator, the anterior labrum is detached from the glenoid. The posterior labrum is intact. 2. (Osseous Acrominal Outlet) The acromin is unipartite and Type I in configuration with mild anterior downsloping. There is mild capsular hypertrophy involving the acromioclavicular joint w/o encroachment on the supraspinatus outlet. 3. (Rotator Cuff) Mild tendinosis of the distal infraspinatus tendon. The Impression says: 1. Type II SLAP lesion. Resolution of paralabral cyst since first MRI w/o contrast. 2. Anterior labral detachment. 3. Mild infraspinatus tendinosis. There was no evidence of full thickness rotator cuff tear although on the first MRI it said partial articular surface tear of the footplate superimposed on tendinosis. WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN? I go to see the surgeon on 10/30/09 and wonder now what is he gonna say. To say the least tired of pain and not being able to work and feeling like i'm getting the run arounds. HELPPPPP

Re:Frustration with shoulder injury 4 years, 11 months ago #13816

• Cavitator
    • Platinum Boarder
    Hi,

You can't really compare your 1st MRI (non-contrast) with your 2nd (contrast); it's apples to oranges.

You have enough going on though that if your symptoms and complaints are prohibitive and you have exhausted all other conservative avenues, if then your ortho recommends a SLAP repair it might be advisable to consider such. The MRI, contrast or not, is not ultimately definative. Diagnostic arthroscopy is the drop-dead answer. Your surgeon will also tell you this.

If you choose a SLAP repair, be prepared that the MRI results may be entirely different than the reality that your surgeon discovers real-time. While well more than most people on this list do very well with surgical repair, when things go south, they can go south big-time. Serious complications can occur that can be beyond life altering and result in chronic debilitating (and expensive) pain, much worse than what you can imagine going through. Not trying to scare you, rather just bring a sobering reality up front that all too often gets ignored in the informed consent.

Good luck in your journey!
    3/51 Bilateral VIII C.N. complete neurectomy
    2/60 Failed Supratentorial electrotherapy w/subsequent pancerebral resection
    2/89 Bilateral aqueous humor drainage w/complete retinectomy
    3/02 Quadralateral proximal extremity resection from gestational thalidomide exposure

Re:Frustration with shoulder injury 4 years, 11 months ago #13817

• DarcyCA
    • Expert Boarder
    • posterior-superior labrum w/ 2 anchors on 10/2/09
    Abutler69,

I think that others will give you more details, but I would say it is time to decide if surgery is the right option for you. It may be time to start preparing yourself for surgery and this forum is a good start!

*Read as many of the threads as you can to get an idea of what to expect.
    *Make a list of questions for your OS as you read.
    *Start preparing yourself physically for surgery - think health and balanced fitness.
    *Start preparing your house/life for the post-op experience. (you can find a lot of info on here about what to prepare for).

If you are not ready for surgery yet, this site will still help you make your decision and give you some ideas of what to do for now.

Good luck!

Darcy

Re:Frustration with shoulder injury 4 years, 11 months ago #13830

• cmmbowl300
    • Junior Boarder
    abutler,
    I also had the same kind of runaround with my doctor when I had my 3rd tear but different arm. He kept on giving me cortisone injections and had 3 within 2 months. Kept telling him it wasn't helping and he sent me through physical therapy. That didn't work either, I ended up switching doctors!! I had 2 mri's with the first doctor and he said it only showed some fraying and when I went to the third doctor he did another mri and it showed nothing!! I was so upset! By this time I could hardly move my arm away from my body without pain, he treated me by my symptoms and not by the test which I think too many doctors treat by the test when it is not always right. Well, he went in with the scope and found a 1 inch full thickness tear in my rotator cuff and ended up opening me up during surgery. I asked him after why it never showed on the mri and he said everything doesn't always show up. I am glad he went in and did this. I was in severe pain and it got back to normal in about 6 weeks. Well, now I am pretty sure I tore that same arm while working and am waiting on the mri results. I am a little nervous as the last 3 I had didn't show anything to speak of. Hope it gets better with you and if you feel something is really wrong then have them go in with the scope to check it out as that is the only true way to know what is going on.

Re:Frustration with shoulder injury 4 years, 11 months ago #13835

• abutler69
    • Senior Boarder
    you didn't mention if your MRI's were with or without contrast. I appreciate the reply

Re:Frustration with shoulder injury (UPDATE) 4 years, 11 months ago #13905

• abutler69
    • Senior Boarder
    Well the visit with the surgeon went better this time I felt comfortable with all we talked about. He said I have to have surgery which will be Left shoulder Arthroscopy, Slap repair, Bankhart repair and Acromioplasty... a lot if u ask me he said my recovers goes as follows: 6 week post-op in sling, minimum of 8 weeks before any light duty at my job possible longer...Regular duty 4-6 months...WOWWWWWW now i just have to wait on approval from WC and then schedule. Well update when I have a surgery date.
    • Page:
    Time to create page: 0.89 seconds
    Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 113 guests and 1 member online