Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: MRI Arthrogram

MRI Arthrogram 3 years, 2 months ago #21869

• ggolden2
  • Junior Boarder
Hey everyone,
After reading a bunch of threads, this has been really helpful. Now I have a few questions. I am a 25 year old female who has had a popping/cracking in my shoulder that is painful (getting progressively worse) since I was in high school. I was a catcher and pitcher, and did cheerleading, all which I think did damage to my shoulder. After finally seeing an orthopedic doctor, I am going for an MRI arthrogram next Monday because the doctor thinks I might have a SLAP tear. How accurate is the doctor in diagnosing this before the MRI? And what should I expect after the arthrogram? The reason I ask is that I am supposed to do a Warrior Dash 6 days later and I want to make sure this won't interfere with it. Thanks!

Re:MRI Arthrogram 3 years, 2 months ago #21905

• johnt0148
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Bi-lateral SLAP Tear Surgeries
An MRI should not interfer with you plans to do the dash. The MD does an MRI to confirm his office examination. Some health plans require an MRI confirmation before they will approve surgery. If both MD and MRI confirm a slap tear, then you probably have a slap tear although it is not 100%. There is always the risk that what appears on the MRI is not the cause of your pain and the MD fixes something that was not causing pain. Hopefully, the MD will find the actual cause of the pain during surgery regardless of the pre-op examination. In fact, I was told that I had a herniated disk and was treated for it and eventually had surgery because nothing releaved the pain. The surgeon found a bone spur and said the disk was perfectly fine. I really didn't care what the problem was because I was now pain-free. So it really comes down to how much pain are you experiencing and what you are willing to do about it. It is a most difficult decision. Good luck.
John

Re:MRI Arthrogram 3 years, 2 months ago #21906

• ggolden2
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks! Being that I know I will most likely have to have surgery, I really wanted to do that dash as my last hurrah for a while. Living with this pain for years is getting old. I know there is something wrong with my shoulder, because of the clunking and the deep ache (a constant pain), and I don't care what it is as long as they fix it when it comes time for surgery. My fear now with the arthrogram is that the injection into the joint will mess with my shoulder, but I have seen that the chances of that are small (or so I hope).

Re:MRI Arthrogram 3 years, 2 months ago #21921

• craggles
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,I got my slap tear in 2005 and have not had surgery yet,anyway thats another story.What I found with the MR arthogram when I had it done a few years on in 2009 is that I actually ended up with an aching joint and pain I did not have before.This lasted about 2-3 weeks.

But my consultant was spot on with his diagnoses the mra just comfirmed it.

I am based in the uk and I did have the mra on the national health service so that maybe why i experianced the pain afterwards.

Good luck with it

Re:MRI Arthrogram 3 years, 2 months ago #21957

• ggolden2
  • Junior Boarder
So, I had my MRI arthrogram yesterday, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I had watched a youtube video of the arthrogram part, so I knew what to expect, but I wished I had not watched it because it made it scarier than it was. My shoulder is extremely sore today, but nothing I can't handle. I have to wait until Thursday to get the results, but I'm to the point where I just want them to find something so that I can figure out how to fix it. This pain for 6 years is just getting exhausting. Thanks for the responses!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.86 seconds
Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 155 guests online