No posts to display.

More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

slap tear, pain down arm into elbow..rehab/surgery
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: slap tear, pain down arm into elbow..rehab/surgery

Re:slap tear, pain down arm into elbow..rehab/surgery 5 years, 6 months ago #22556

• johnt0148
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Bi-lateral SLAP Tear Surgeries
      Cavitator,
      Good question!

The surgeon thought he was dealing with a herniated disk. He proceeded with microscopic disk surgery and found healthy disk tissue, so he opened me up (7 stitches) and went into the nerve cavity where the bone spur was found next to the spinal cord. As he removed the bone sput, he nicked the spinal cord which left me partially numb on my left pinky finger and left ring finger. He also left me pain free! For the first time in almost 3 years I was able to socialize with friends and family without pain pills or a discomfort so painful that there was no way to find relief. The months of PT, steroidal injections, acupuncture and chiropractor did nothing but delay my ultimate freedom. I understand when hope gives way to desperation. I don’t understand why these professionals didn’t just say “I can’t help you”. I eventually gave up on all of them and told the director of neurological surgery to fix it. That Thursday, he personally scheduled surgery for the next Monday and 2 weeks later I was free of pain. All this occurred 2 months after my second slap tear surgery on second shoulder.

You sound like you work in the medical field. That is good. It seems professional to me to know the difference between knowing when providing an ancillary service can help a patient and when it delays the ultimate solution.
      John

Re:slap tear, pain down arm into elbow..rehab/surgery 5 years, 6 months ago #22559

Hi. Looking for personal experience, advise on PT and pain levels postoperative. I am ten weeks out from surgery and have been assigned a PT who is fresh out of school and has been pretty vigorous pulling etc on my arm. Sill significant pain at night and after PT. So much so I worried she had re-torn the repair. Well, my PT FLUNKED her state boards and has been removed from my cse, and a new guy assigned.

I'm not sure if my PT related pain is normal, or pedi ly exacerbated by inexperience/ incompetence of my PT, perhaps a retear? Any comments from others? I still have nerve pain radiating down the arm, improved ROM, but lot of pain... Thanks

Re:slap tear, pain down arm into elbow..rehab/surgery 5 years, 6 months ago #22592

• johnt0148
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Bi-lateral SLAP Tear Surgeries
      Sally slap tear,
      You should be OK as I have not seen any instances of a retear from PT. I understand your situation however as I consented to an intern from a local university during my first month of my second slap tear surgery. Having gone through about a half a dozen good PTs, I knew I was in trouble with this newby. Find a PT that you are comfortable with. Your paying the bill.

I suggest that you ice the shoulder as often as possible. In fact, I would apply ice at the rehab center immediately after PT. Also, take an advil before PT to help with inflammtion. While at home get a pulley system going to work on flexion and abduction. I hung one in my bedroom and worked with it often as it actually feels good.
      Hope this helps a little,
      John

Re:slap tear, pain down arm into elbow..rehab/surgery 5 years, 6 months ago #22593

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      I just switched PT's as well - no consistency, too much pointing out exercises then walking away to type at their laptops. The one I went back to has special training in massage as well. Since my incision still is not completely healed she is holding off on the deep massage to hinder scarring, which is a MAJOR problem.

The PT would have to be fairly gorilla-like to retear. The last person they should start a newby on is a shoulder patient!

Re:slap tear, pain down arm into elbow..rehab/surgery 5 years, 6 months ago #22596

• Cavitator
      • Platinum Boarder
      3/51 Bilateral VIII C.N. complete neurectomy
      2/60 Failed Supratentorial electrotherapy w/subsequent pancerebral resection
      2/89 Bilateral aqueous humor drainage w/complete retinectomy
      3/02 Quadralateral proximal extremity resection from gestational thalidomide exposure

Re:slap tear, pain down arm into elbow..rehab/surgery 5 years, 6 months ago #22597

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      I had to spend the afternoon at the huge medical institution that totally messed me up, probably for life, today. It was so difficult to sit there amidst a billion dollar art gallery in the public spaces, knowing their doc's wouldn't even bother to diagnose my injury since an MRI would cost $2000. I was there with my father for his cat scan/biopsy. He has stage 4 cancer - he is 87 and still feeling good, thank heavens.

Anyway, my PT today was great. Did some warm up, then she applied ultrasound and gave me a wonderful massage. Like she said, you can do exercise at home, why else go to a therapist? So glad I went back to her.
      Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 207 guests online
      Up