Username Password: Remember me

SLAP vs. Rotator Cuff?
    (1 viewing) (1) Guest
    • Page:

TOPIC: SLAP vs. Rotator Cuff?

SLAP vs. Rotator Cuff? 2 years, 5 months ago #24672

• absentia
    • Fresh Boarder
    Hello everyone! This is my first post here, but I've been reading for two months now, ever since I was diagnosed with a SLAP II. I just had a quick question about MRI results... I know that they're not 100%, but my MRI showed a SLAP in the 10 oclock to 12oclock position, as well as mild insertional tendinosis on my rotator cuff. I also had tendinosis on my long head of my biceps, and a thickened CA ligament.

So, post-op report says that I had multiple partial rotator cuff tears, bursitis, synovitis, impingement, and my CA ligament was excised. My question is, what happened to the SLAP? Is that something that could be confused? I'm just worried the doc missed something while he was in there... I still have the same deep ache in my shoulder, but I'm only 4 weeks post op. Anyone else have something similar? Where the MRI was just wrong? Should I be worried? Any help would be so appreciated!!

Tamra

Re: SLAP vs. Rotator Cuff? 2 years, 5 months ago #24673

• riderk
    • Platinum Boarder
    What did the op report say as far as what was done? Besides the ligament being excised? From your post, it sounds as if it was a diagnosis of partial tears - did they do a bursectomy (probably)? Synovectomy? Decompression? Sometimes there is a section of the diagnosis, then description of what was actually done.

Re: SLAP vs. Rotator Cuff? 2 years, 5 months ago #24699

• absentia
    • Fresh Boarder
    Hello Riderk,

Thanks for getting back to me. This is what the operations part says,

"arthroscopy of the left shoulder, subacromial synovectomy, bursectoy, acromioplasty, excision of CA ligament, and shaving of partial tears of the cuff."

The only thing that concerns me really is that on the same form it says that the diagnosis is only impingement with tears in the rotator cuff, but my MRI said slap tear? I just don't want to have to do this all over again.

Thanks!
    Tamra

Re: SLAP vs. Rotator Cuff? 2 years, 5 months ago #24700

• riderk
    • Platinum Boarder
    Ask!! Make sure you sit down with the surgeon and make him explain exactly what was done. Did you get pictures? The one thing I find very frustrating is when these docs don't want to take the time to really explain what they did - if they even remember if they are cranking them out. My first surgeon was just exceptional - very patient, went over the pictures, videos, etc in detail. The second one - it was like pulling teeth to get information. Maybe the slap tear wasn't that bad. Bursectomies are routine - sounds like he went in and smoothed things out.

What sent you to the surgeon?

Re: SLAP vs. Rotator Cuff? 2 years, 5 months ago #24703

• absentia
    • Fresh Boarder
    I would love to ask but I haven't seen my surgeon since the surgery. I've been there three times since then but first he was on vacation, then he hadn't arrived yet and I was seen by his assistant for stitch removal and for a 2 second follow up.

I was in a bad car accident back in October. Rear-ended when I was at a full stop and the person who hit me was doing around 40-50 mph. I saw it coming and unfortunately tensed up on the wheel. First I was diagnosed with slipped disc/pinched nerve causing radiculopathy down my left arm, and after 5 months of PT for that and some additional symptoms (growing weakness, clicking, etc) my neurologist finally sent me to an OS. MRI the next day, surgery 3 weeks later, and now I'm a month post-op as of tomorrow.

I have a follow up appointment where I specified that I NEED to see MY doctor, not just his assistant.... we'll see how it goes, but I thought I'd see if anyone had something similar with the MRI's being wrong or anything. A girl can dream! Hopefully when I see the pictures everything will be made clear and I can be less anxious about it.

I have developed the same clicking now that my ROM is a little better which is, I suppose, where my main concerns are focused. I have some sharp popping (painful) at the top of my shoulder, but my PT assures me it's scar tissue. The deeper crackling is also painful and feels exactly like it did pre-op, which is why I'm concerned about the slap business.

Anyway! Thanks for your patience with me!

Tamra

Re: SLAP vs. Rotator Cuff? 2 years, 5 months ago #24724

• Kelly99
    • Junior Boarder
    Hi Tamra,

In regards to your question about the MRI. Yes, it happens very frequently that what the MRI shows and what the surgeon finds on direct view are not the same. I'm an orthopedic surgical assistant and there are many times when we are expecting to one thing and find something else or nothing at all. It is especially common to expect a slap tear and find a rotator cuff tear (or vice versa, or both) as they often occur together.

The popping and cracking are most likely due to scar tissue breaking up, but you definitely want to check with the surgeon since it is painful. When scar tissue breaks up there may be a moment of pain followed by relief and increased ROM.

I'm in a similar position. Post RCR 3 1/2 months, post slap 3 years. Started having painful popping and grinding 2 weeks ago. PT is concerned about a possible new SLAP due to the fact that it is painful.

So, insist that you see your surgeon and don't let him/her blow you off. It is a valid concern. Good luck.

Kelly
    • Page:
    Time to create page: 0.48 seconds
    Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online