Username Password: Remember me

Bicep tendonitis after slap tear surgery
    (1 viewing) (1) Guest
    • Page:

TOPIC: Bicep tendonitis after slap tear surgery

Bicep tendonitis after slap tear surgery 1 year, 8 months ago #27979

• Bruno
    • Fresh Boarder
    I am 7 weeks post op of a slap tear surgery. two anchors, one near my bicep. It feels like I have bicep tendonitis. I have horrible pains in the front of my shoulder that runs down my bicep and it is slowing my PT process down. My forward ROM is 140 but with lots of pain. I am unable to lift my arm without pain. Still taking meds at night. My doc gave me an MRI which showed everything still ok, just signs of synovitis which is inflammation. I was even given a cortisone shot that didn't really help. Shoulder feels ten times worse then it did before surgery. I am thinking I have bicep tendinitis.

has anyone else experienced bicep tendinitis after a SLAP repair surgery? Will this go away eventually? It is very frustrating because I had no symptoms of this before surgery and it feels like I should be a lot farther along and not in this much pain.

I have posted here before but were looking for bicep tendonitis experiences. Any help would be greatly appreciated for I am desperate to figure out why I am not getting

Thanks, bruno

Re: Bicep tendonitis after slap tear surgery 1 year, 8 months ago #27985

• Beanie1
    • Senior Boarder
    I had a lot of soft tissue soreness in various points in the rehab process. If you think about it pre-surgery there was not a lot of tension on the biceps tendon, due to the SLAP tear. Now it's been sutured down - suddenly there's lots of tension. It's bound to cause some pain, and as your doc said, inflammation.

7 weeks is really not that long - I had only just started active assisted movements at that stage. Work with your PT - mine was a great help with the soreness - deep tissue massage and ultrasound both helped. But the soreness didn't really start to go until I was able to start strengthening at 3 months.

Re: Bicep tendonitis after slap tear surgery 1 year, 8 months ago #27986

• ljansen
    • Platinum Boarder
    • 9 shoulder surgeries
    I agree with Beanie1, you are still quite early in recovery process and as much as the majority of the healing has taken place around those anchors in your shoulder...full tissue repair/remodelling takes 12 weeks. Is the pain you're getting down the front specifically in the biceps, or do you feel it more toward the side of the shoulder and down the arm? The latter would suggest impingement/cuff referral. Recovery from shoulder surgery is a long, frustrating process...there will be good days and there will be bad. The surgery in and of itself is a lot of trauma to the shoulder...it takes time for the pain from that alone to subside. I'm not sure what your PT program involves right now, perhaps you need to have a discussion with your PT to find a way to continue to progress, ensuring you regain your ROM but also minimizing any flare-ups of that pain. It may take some experimenting and open lines of communication, but hopefully you can find a balance.

If you continue to get that same pain weeks down the road with absolutely no change, then perhaps you need to revisit it with your OS.
    R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
    L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
    L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
    L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
    L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
    L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
    L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
    L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
    L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re: Bicep tendonitis after slap tear surgery 1 year, 8 months ago #27990

• Bruno
    • Fresh Boarder
    Thanks for the replies and support. The pain is in the front of the shoulder and down the bicep and sometimes goes to my hand and makes my it ache and fingers tingle. Its more sharp pains then soreness or stiffness. My arm is mostly in a sling position. I can do wall slides and stretches but its still very painful. This weekend I must have had a flare up because I cant even move my arm up without a wall. My bicep seems to freeze in pain and I cant lift it. My measurements at PT today probably wont be as good as last weeks.

I appreciate all the advise and will give it a few more weeks. My PT schedule from my OS said I should have full range of motion by week 10. Right now that seems hopeless. Very frustrated and regretting this surgery all together. Hopefully it will slowly get better. I thought things should be looking better by week 7 but from your replies, it might take some more time.

Thanks again for the replies.
    bruno

Re: Bicep tendonitis after slap tear surgery 1 year, 8 months ago #27991

• riderk
    • Platinum Boarder
    Everyone is different. You may also have excessive scarring going on. That is partly what happened to me, but was not dealt with for 6 months to give pt a chance. There was so much scar he could barely move the instruments around. I have it on you tube.

Re: Bicep tendonitis after slap tear surgery 1 year, 8 months ago #27997

• harley
    • Fresh Boarder
    Bruno. we are both in the same boat. im at 7 weeks and am the same as you. my bed hates me. i get majer pian if i sleep in bed but the couch im not to bad. sharp pain, yes fore sure. i still have swelling of the tricep and no feeling in it. people say 3 months and i was hoping to be a little better then i am.
    • Page:
    Time to create page: 0.61 seconds
    Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 92 guests online