Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: Hi everyone *waves*

Hi everyone *waves* 2 years ago #31299

• annak
      • Fresh Boarder
      Just wanted to introduce myself I'm Anna, 33 year old woman, had my shoulder operation 2 days ago.
      We didn't know it was a slap tear in advance - it didn't show up on my MRIs - but my labrum was apparently 2/3 unattached, and took 6 anchors to reattach it. The way my surgeon said it, that sounded like a lot

I'm back at home now, settling into being home and bored and uncomfortable. My sport/obsession is climbing, so I'm trying not to think about how long it will be until I can go enjoy myself again!

Anyway so hello to all my fellow injured / recoverers, Any words of wisdom / advice / distraction appreciated!
      Anna

Re: Hi everyone *waves* 2 years ago #31301

• JonBoy
      • Junior Boarder
      Just rent a ton of movies or binge watch Netflix. Keep your mind distracted and don't be scared of those painkillers.

The first two weeks are the hardest and also the most crucial for soft tissue healing. So don't feel guilty about doing literally nothing for two weeks.(other than pendulums or whatever your doctor suggests.) The only thing I would recommend is doing some calf raises a little leg squats to get blood flowing though your whole body. This keeps inflammation down and gets that giant toxic cocktail of anesthesia out of your body quicker, drink tons of water! ...and of course keep ice on there a lot in the first two weeks.

Good luck, keep your chin up. the hardest part is over, you have do have a big challenge ahead of you and if you treat the shoulder right, rest when you are supposed to, do the right physio, and don't baby it after a few months of healing you will be good to go.

Welcome to the community, I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you will provide us all with a great success story!
      10-24-2013 L shoulder SLAP repair
      10-14-2014 R shoulder Bankart repair -5 anchors
      1-1-2015 L shoulder Tenodesis - 1 anchor
      8-7-2015 Stem Cell Transplant to both shoulders

Re: Hi everyone *waves* 2 years ago #31302

• annak
      • Fresh Boarder
      Haha I just signed up for a netflix free trial Plus I have some language studying which I never get quite enough time to do, so now I have no excuses.

I'm terrible at doing nothing but I know I have to. I'm really scared of doing anything that could tear what I've had done, so I'm even nervous about going for walks in case I trip and fall, which is probably a bit over cautious, but I can be a bit of a clutz. At least the snow and ice cleared last week, so good timing really!

Cheers
      Anna

Re: Hi everyone *waves* 2 years ago #31308

• annak
      • Fresh Boarder
      Well I'm a week post-op, and yesterday I was feeling pretty great, but then I went to the cinema last night just to get out of the house, then slept badly, and now my shoulder hurts. Gonna take it super easy and hope it's ok, but I'm really worried I've done something wrong. Hopefully doing nothing again for a few days will calm it down.

Re: Hi everyone *waves* 1 year, 10 months ago #31383

• annak
      • Fresh Boarder
      Two months since my operation now, and pretty pleased. There have been some sore days (and some days when I thought Ḯ'd actually done some damage) but overall things are good.

The pressure points in my back muscles - which disappeared entirely when I had a sling on - have come back a bit, but massage keeps them under control, and I think it's just because I'm re-learning where to put my shoulder.

I'm having physio twice a week, and seeing a difference nearly every time. I can't quite get my arm straight up yet, but it does go above shoulder height now (which makes getting dressed a whole lot easier!).

Re: Hi everyone *waves* 1 year, 10 months ago #31388

• fmalloy
      • Junior Boarder
      Anna, sounds like you're doing great!

I just had my surgery yesterday. But I did my other shoulder a year ago so know what to expect.

If you can get your arm almost vertical after only two months I's say that's really good.
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.45 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 172 guests online