9 Months Post-op & unstable again
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: 9 Months Post-op & unstable again

9 Months Post-op & unstable again 7 years, 2 months ago #15235

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      I'm currently 9 months post op from biceps tenodesis, which was surgery #4 on my left shoulder after initially having Bankart/SLAP repair. A few weeks ago, I subluxed my shoulder and it has since been doing it whenever my arm is in abduction/ER. I saw the OS yesterday and he said there is indeed instability anteriorly and he was able to slide it over the edge of the socket. I don't know the extent of the injury (ie. whether labrum tear or ligaments just stretched out). Either way OS recommended surgery. I have not regained full ROM since initial surgery 5 years ago and OS said I will likely never regain that ROM without sacrificing stability, which he recommends against. Also, based on the amount of tenderness under acromion, while he is in there he will likely do bursectomy/SAD again.

In terms of biceps anchor sensitivity/pain, I am currently trying to desensitize the tissue around it to rule out hyperactive nerves causing pain as opposed to anchor and if that doesn't work then we'll decide what to do about it. Because there is several month wait for MRI here, it's faster to just go ahead with surgery at this point as it will be necessary in the end. I will most likely be having the surgery in april or may.

I'm just hoping I don't start dislocating again or have another bankart tear

Leanne
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re:9 Months Post-op & unstable again 7 years, 2 months ago #15260

• GirlGumby
      • Gold Boarder
      Leanne, I'm sorry. That's one of my big fears-that I'll still be unstable after going through this. PT has said that my PROM is coming back beautifully for the extent of work I had done, but that it's also a concern because that's a why I had the work done. So he's backing off on some of the stretching, and we'll be starting strengthening next week.

I'm also playing the "I hope I don't start dislocating" game on my other shoulder. I'm not sure how long I'll have before I can have it treated (I'm at 4 1/2 weeks out from surgery). My biggest problem is trying to pull my comforter up over me at night. It shifts out of place every time

Re:9 Months Post-op & unstable again 7 years, 2 months ago #15273

• kcdtarheel
      • Gold Boarder
      Leanne,
      I am so sorry that you're facing another surgery for instability and won't be able to address the ROM issues. I know you have helped many of us on here, so we hope to do the same for you. Feel free to post your frustrations along the way. Although I haven't had as many surgeries as you, I do understand all that goes into the rehab. Hang in there! We're here to cheer you on. Again, thanks for your input and answers to many of my posts.

Re:9 Months Post-op & unstable again 7 years, 2 months ago #15353

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      I HAD A SHOULDER BREAKTHROUGH TONIGHT!!!!!!!! and the development of this breakthrough makes no sense, I shall explain. I was trying to work on ROM tonight at the gym, i was lying on my back working on flexion and as usual, it hit a wall and i got the impingement pain down my arm like i always do. i grabbed my shoulder in pain while in flexion and essentially squeezed the back part of my deltoid and my arm dropped into full flexion and the impingement pain was completely eliminated. when i finally sat up to see if i could notice why that happened and the exact 2 spots i was squeezing were the incisions from previous surgeries (posterior portal and lateral/subacromial portal). my trainer is going to take a better look at it tomorrow to see if she can figure it out, but she says it's most likely extra-articular scar tissue, possibly subdeltoid. i had the front subdeltoid debrided but am the thinking it never was at the posterior. tomorrow i'll try and see what happens if i get her to hold those spots and i try internal rotation, but i am getting the feeling that may be capsular, but we'll see. i wish i would have grabbed my shoulder in pain more 5 years ago!!!! my trainer said she had never seen a more unimpressed look on my face after doing that lol.

such an innocent move, one i did without even thinking about it and may have just answered a lot of the questions as to why I never regained ROM after my stabilization surgery 5 years ago.

even tho i've been in a lot of pain trying to desensitize that anchor, i would definetly say today was a good day...one that i was due for and definetly needed.

will update again tomorrow after i try a few things out with ROM. I do still need the shoulder stabilized but at least there may still be hope in regaining at least some ROM? here's to hoping!

thanks for the thoughts as well. this has definetly been a very frustrating, painful and exhausting journey. to think that i will have had 5 surgeries on one shoulder leaves me speechless most of the time, even to think 6 total with the 1 right one. but I'm hoping the end of the journey is nearing. i will definetly keep you all updated along the way. Feb 2 is when I see the OS again and will schedule the surgery, hopefully for april when i get back from my ski trip (have to at least get in the things you can do and enjoy for peace of mind through all of this).
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 309 guests online