Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: ROM Progression

ROM Progression 6 years, 10 months ago #17302

• Kevin63
      • Fresh Boarder
      I wanted to throw out a quick question about ROM progress after shoulder surgery.

I had a type 2 slap repair and I'm now 7.5 weeks post-op. When I'm at PT my therapist is able to stretch me to 170 flexion and 90 ER. He is happy with this progress considering I was a sling with no movement for the first 3 weeks. However, he is concerned about my abduction which has only reached about 110. He is hoping that it will eventually unlock as my other ranges improve.

I just wanted to know if this is a normal occurance or not. Does one motion typically move along slower than others? Is there a natural progress or does it depend on the person/repair that was done?

Re:ROM Progression 6 years, 10 months ago #17303

• johnt0148
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Bi-lateral SLAP Tear Surgeries
      My left shoulder progressed much faster than my right. When I spoke to my surgeon about my right shoulder rom pain, he told me not to worry and just take what the body will give. I didn't get 90 degree abduction until 4 months, but now I am 99%. So, just keep working at it, and don't worry.
      John

Re:ROM Progression 6 years, 10 months ago #17304

• Shh9902
      • Gold Boarder
      Kevin,

Everyone is different. My right came back a lot faster than my left, which my OS told me yesterday is "horrible." I couldn't tell you the measurements, but it's pretty bad. ROM progress is dependent on a lot of things-- age, length in the sling, scar tissue buildup, how conservative your PT is, etc. I once told my PT that mine should be coming back faster, because I'm 26. He responded that I wasn't 18 anymore! So there are a lot of factors that play into it. The best thing you can do is to keep stretching it both at PT and at home (if you're allowed to do it on your own) and see if you can get it to move along a bit.

Hannah.
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online