Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: 6 Months Post Op Question

6 Months Post Op Question 6 years, 5 months ago #18993

• sikdarsis
      • Fresh Boarder
      Hi All,

I had a rotatory cuff tear and bicep tendon re-attachment surgery on my right shoulder in last week of April 2010. My therapist and doc told me that I was doing very good with my therapy and got full range of motion in about 4-5 months. I saw my doctor yesterday and he checked my shoulder ROM and strength and told me I have complete ROM but needed to strengthen my shoulder.

My doc said I can go back to playing all kinds of sports and start doing strength exercise in the gym. I got another referral from him for therapy so that I can get guidance on the strengthening exercises. I went to play racquetball yesterday and just played for a while and didn't hit the ball very hard but i have a sore shoulder and bicep. I am just worried is this normal. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Re:6 Months Post Op Question 6 years, 5 months ago #18995

• sskylor
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Physical Therapist/Patient
      While you maybe cleared to go back to sports, you are not ready.
      As the OS recommended your strength is not there, so stay off the racketball court until the strength has resummed to 85% of the non
      affected shoulder. Racketball requires extreme quick and whip motions so your rehab should include the bodyblade which most gyms will have. The shoulder needs to be able to perform opposing muscle actions and this is a good way to build strength.
      Your therapist should also guild you with exercises for scapular
      stabilization, as this is so so important for any and all overhead motions. My OS did not clear me for any overhead motion until 6 months and then it took another 3 before I could tennis seve without pain or hesitation.

Re:6 Months Post Op Question 6 years, 5 months ago #18996

• sikdarsis
      • Fresh Boarder
      Thanks for the reply.

I have two more questions

Is the soreness I have is temporary ?

Could I have done something to my repair by playing racquetball ?

My therapy starts from next week So I will stay off from the racquetball court and strengthen my shoulder before I get back again.

Thanks.
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online