Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: Stiff as a board ?

Stiff as a board ? 5 years, 9 months ago #21721

• jimbo
      • Junior Boarder
      I am just under 12 weeks post op from a DCR, SAD and Biceps tenodesis, caused mainly by Tennis/Table Tennis and bad Gym form.

It has been a long and frustrating rehab but things have got much better - I am still having pain in the morning and at night (mainly due to the fact that I sleep on my right hand side which is also the injured shoulder.

I don't feel able to participate in sport yet as my shoulder is still is very stiff and I am starting to have doubts and that it may never fully recover.

Does this sound normal ? - I'm wondering how strong is the Distal Clavicle resection (i.e will be as good as new) - I'm not sure where the stifness is coming from - Is it the DCR or the SAD ? - Just want some re-assurance really and some hope ?

Re:Stiff as a board ? 5 years, 9 months ago #21724

• davo55
      • Fresh Boarder
      I'm in a similar boat as you Jimbo,11 weeks out from Type 2 SLAP, DCR, SAD. My ROM remains poor: External rotation about 10deg, forward flexion passive ROM is 110deg on a good day. I still hurt at night and sleep with a 45deg back wedge. Laying flat hurts real bad. A friend had the DCR alone about 5 years ago and he is in great shape, happy as a clam. Says he'll never have arthritis in that joint again.
      My shoulder was partly frozen when I had the surgery and progress toward regaining ROM comes in millimeters unfortunately.
      I'm finally off of the Norco all the way for about a week now. I still ache but it's tolerable. We bought a hot tub to help with my rehab and it is perhaps the best medicine for the pain.
      I'm 55 y/o and expect that maybe my age has something to do with my slow recovery. My surgeon reassured me that it'll just take time. I'll admit that I sometimes fear that this thing will never improve but that's just my impatience.

Re:Stiff as a board ? 5 years, 9 months ago #21739

• jimbo
      • Junior Boarder
      davo55 wrote:
      I'm in a similar boat as you Jimbo,11 weeks out from Type 2 SLAP, DCR, SAD. My ROM remains poor: External rotation about 60deg, forward flexion passive ROM is 110deg on a good day. I still hurt at night and sleep with a 45deg back wedge. Laying flat hurts real bad. A friend had the DCR alone about 5 years ago and he is in great shape, happy as a clam. Says he'll never have arthritis in that joint again.
      My shoulder was partly frozen when I had the surgery and progress toward regaining ROM comes in millimeters unfortunately.
      I'm finally off of the Norco all the way for about a week now. I still ache but it's tolerable. We bought a hot tub to help with my rehab and it is perhaps the best medicine for the pain.
      I'm 55 y/o and expect that maybe my age has something to do with my slow recovery. My surgeon reassured me that it'll just take time. I'll admit that I sometimes fear that this thing will never improve but that's just my impatience.

Thanks for your reply - Yes also had a Type 2 slap tear so sounds like we had similar problems - Sorry to hear about your problems but its nice to know that somebody else is going through a similar experience - It gives me a bit of re-assurance.

Re:Stiff as a board ? 5 years, 9 months ago #21766

• swimmer1a
      • Fresh Boarder
      Im 57, 2 mos post op SAD, and bicep tenodesis. Very stiff. Working like a dog 2x daily with passive ROM and working with bands. Dr really concerned that my ROM is so bad, about 10 degrees ER, 120 Flexion and significant pain. Wear a TENS, lots of ice and still on the Norco. Life pretty much sucks right now. Not sleeping well. Used to being very active, swimming, cycling, etc and now nothing.I feel like there is no give in the bicep tendon and it hurts like hell to stretch it. I cry at PT and I HATE that! Am not a wimp. I feel like something is just not right. Comments?

Re:Stiff as a board ? 5 years, 9 months ago #21768

• davo55
      • Fresh Boarder
      I hear you Swimmer 1. I feel so humbled by this surgery.

I was doing 50 mile bike rides a year ago, now its 2 mile walks. I thought I needed the Norco until I got off of it. The Doc's PA told me to get off of it after 2 months but I said I still needed it. I was pissed at her but gave it a try, weaning myself slowly over a 2 week period. I'm a much happier camper now that I'm off of that stuff. I was tearing up real easily and it wasn't helping my mental state. I think towards the end, I needed it only because I was dependent on it. I think it tricked me into believing that I needed it. It was not fun coming off of it however.

My Doc told the PT to not get too aggressive with the passive stretches and I've come to realize that for me, maybe "less is more". With the those aggressive stretches that make me writhe in pain, I'd have more ROM for an hour or two then everything started locking up tight for a couple of days. Now with a little less aggressive stretches, I feel like I'm actually progressing a bit more now. Remember, that it takes 3 months for all those new anchors to heal strongly to the bone.

I do get sore after PT for sure. Sometimes my neck and back muscles seem to just protest and go into spasm. Going into the hot tub for 10 minutes however is like hitting the "reset" button. The pain and tension just seems to melt away. A big help. If you don't have one, Softubs are pretty nice and can be easily re-sold on craigslist when you don't need it anymore. (unlike fiberglass units)

I'm trying to keep my thoughts more positive and visualize a flexible, strong, pain free shoulder. Doc said it may be as long as a year before my shoulder forgets its trauma. Hang in there friend.

Re:Stiff as a board ? 5 years, 9 months ago #21769

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      I am 55 too - we just got rid of our softub as stopped working a couple years ago... darn it. cut it up and that was it. Great while it lasted, but I do miss it. Although to be honest, there is no way I'd get in a hottub in this weather!!

Don't worry about the meds. I've had them since 11/09 - through a pain management doctor since 10/10. Hoping this 4th trip to the OR is the end.

That all being said, it is all individual as far as recovery. Leanne has had a hard time with the bicep tenodesis - that was no problem at all for me. My main problems have been the suprapsinatus, scarring, and bone issues which led to traumatic arthritis.

Once you accept it will take awhile, you will feel mentally equipped to deal with it. If anyone told me 2 years ago I'd still be dealing with this now, I never would have believed it.

But, I bought a new horse today . HOpe I can ride her this fall!
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.50 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 145 guests online