Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: Stiff as a board ?

Re:Stiff as a board ? 5 years, 8 months ago #21770

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      At 12 weeks I was still dealing with a lot of pain from the tenodesis and unfortunately, with the tenodesis, it's a very long recovery and 12 weeks is just a small portion of it. at this point you may benefit from some muscle relaxants, i get good results from Flexeril. Maybe talk to your doc about it, reducing some muscle tension may help in regaining rom and bringing down some barriers. it was a painful rehab for me tho, and there were few ways around it. at 12 weeks, i was just given the go ahead to start light strengthening, so i had a lot of muscle mass to regain.

Hang in there!

Leanne
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re:Stiff as a board ? 5 years, 8 months ago #21771

• swimmer1a
      • Fresh Boarder
      Thanks so much for the comments. Very helpful. I have been somewhat depressed with amt of pain and lack of ROM. My PT thinks I'm on track except for my ER. I do stand in a hot shower for 5-10 minutes in the morning and stretch, feels so good. Trying to get off the Norco and just use Aleeve and Ultram.

Re:Stiff as a board ? 5 years, 8 months ago #21794

• davo55
      • Fresh Boarder
      I saw my surgeon for a 3 month follow up today. He said the obvious as can be seen around this forum, that for some folks the rehab process is just brutal and takes longer. He said that 95% of the people are 95% better after 6 months. So I've got a ways to go. Measured flexion is 110deg, ER is 35deg, IR is 45deg.

He recommended a device called the "dyna splint" as can be seen here:
      www.dynasplint.com/joints/shoulder/
      They will come either to the doctor's or PT's office and fit me for it and instruct me in its use. Just have to wait for the insurance to approve it.

Overall, he said he's not too worried about my present condition. Since I'm prone to frozen shoulder anyway, this was somewhat expected. He said if I've not made significant progress by the 5-6 month mark, he might need to do a mua.

The exercises hurt but that's tolerable at this stage for me. What really sucks is sleeping. I use a bed wedge and can't use the same position for more than a night or two consecutively.
      www.relaxtheback.com/sleep/bed-wedges/co...tible-leg-wedge.html

Tylenol PM helps but I'm tired of using meds. I actually slept much better when I was taking the norco. It was being awake that it made unpleasant.
      Has anybody got any good sleep tips they care to pass on?
      Anybody used the dyna splint?

Re:Stiff as a board ? 5 years, 8 months ago #21795

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      Ambien helps for sleep.

Re:Stiff as a board ? 5 years, 8 months ago #21796

• swimmer1a
      • Fresh Boarder
      I just came back from PT. My assisted ER was 32 degrees at the end of my hour. Best yet. I have an appt with my OS on Monday for a possible joint injection. I too, have a hx of frozen shoulder and am worried about the amt of pain and lack of ROM. I am off the Norco, but still need Tramadol for PT and am using Ambien at night. I am also using Lidoderm patches at night. They work great at relieving pain.

My PT is rec the splint for me also. Sounds like pure torture, like being on the rack.

Re:Stiff as a board ? 5 years, 8 months ago #21816

• davo55
      • Fresh Boarder
      [quote]My PT is rec the splint for me also. Sounds like pure torture,.....[quote]
      Jeez, and I thought PT stood for physical therapy. Now I know better.

I just looked through my old calendar planner and found that when I had my frozen shoulder (other side from the current issue), I went to physical therapy for 7 months from Nov 2007 to May 2008. I suffered with it for two months trying to figure out what it was before I finally got an MRI and referral to PT. So that was 9 months of utter torture for me that time.

Now I'm at the 3 month mark from surgery, I'm starting to feel like I'm finally getting somewhere. Haven't got the "dyna-splint" yet but I did read up on it some. That thing has you holding the stretch for 10 minutes at the beginning and working up to 30-45 minutes 3-4x/day. Gonna need some whiskey and a bite stick for that.

After reading that, I tried increasing the duration of my home stretches from 30 seconds as the PT instructed up to a minute, and I think that's actually more effective at this point for me. I don't stiffen back up so quickly.

I took 2 tylenol pm's for the past two nights which knocked me out all night. I'll keep trying those as long as they are effective. Drugs seem to lose their effect on me after a while though. I've tried Ambien and it works great the first night, but after two consecutive nights, the side effects become too annoying and it loses effectiveness. I'll have to ask about those lidocaine patches, that sounds like it might work.
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 617 guests online