Latest Topics

No posts to display.

More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

5 months post op, pain almost daily still.
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 5 months post op, pain almost daily still.

Re:5 months post op, pain almost daily still. 5 years, 6 months ago #22625

• AmyinNC
      • Junior Boarder
      I mostly do ice, which does help in the moment and shortly after. I did 12 weeks of PT, its all my insurance would cover. I did alot of the resistance bands, strength exercises, stretching...
      I see the OT on wednesday, will see what he says this time, then seek 2nd opinion if necessary

Re:5 months post op, pain almost daily still. 5 years, 6 months ago #22629

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      I am doing heat more now that ice as well. Not sure ice and a hunk of metal are a good combination. I do hear you on the frustration. After 2 years, I am losing ability to cope effectively. Go to bed in pain and wake up in pain and it never stops- just varies in intensity. IF it takes a year to heal, that will be 3.

Re:5 months post op, pain almost daily still. 5 years, 6 months ago #22636

• newt1912
      • Junior Boarder
      I 2nd what another poster said about using heat. At 5 months post op I would say that I had pain/ache/discomfort every day - more so by the end of the day and I would use heating pad after work. I was still using ibupropen each day and 1 Vicodin and tylenol pm to sleep at night. I thought I would never feel normal again but things got slightly better by 6 months and stopped Vicodin by 6 months (OS wouldn't give me any more for sleeping). Still had a lot of days of aches/discomfort until about 9 months. I am 1 year post op and just had a cortisone shot at the 1 year period because I was still having discomfort when sleeping.

At 5 months post op I believe I had good strength and ROM - that was not a problem.

It truly is a very long recovery. Hang in there and talk to your OS.

Re:5 months post op, pain almost daily still. 5 years, 6 months ago #22642

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      For me, ambien is better for sleeping since pain meds don't last that long. Ambien will help you get to sleep and stay there for at least 6 hrs. I was sent to pain management by the surgeons since they really don't want to be prescribing pain meds that long out. Although the first OS (who knew the extent of the damage) kept saying shoulder pain is right up there as intense.

I did see a social worker who specialized in pain, and felt bad because her primary clientele were cancer patients. She was SO wonderful - said pain is pain, and my pain was just as "valid" as anyone elses

Re:5 months post op, pain almost daily still. 5 years, 6 months ago #22682

• dplatt
      • Junior Boarder
      Wow.... Riderk, I sure hope you recover fully. You have been through a ton and I could only imagine your frustration. Way to stay positive and help others with your experiences. And pain from the shoulder surgery is terrible. I have had several surgeries to remove cancer and I thought that the recovery from that was terrible. But honestly the shoulder recovery has been much worse. I have never felt as much constant pain/discomfort over such a long period of time. I felt like the cure was much worse than the injury itself. Just now I'm starting to see the light a the end of the tunnel.
      Dan
      4/13/11- Arthroscopic SLAP Repair - 4 suture acnhors, SAD, and mini-open subpectoral bicep tenodesis.

Re:5 months post op, pain almost daily still. 5 years, 6 months ago #22688

• Cavitator
      • Platinum Boarder
      Amy, what and where exactly are your symptoms now?
      3/51 Bilateral VIII C.N. complete neurectomy
      2/60 Failed Supratentorial electrotherapy w/subsequent pancerebral resection
      2/89 Bilateral aqueous humor drainage w/complete retinectomy
      3/02 Quadralateral proximal extremity resection from gestational thalidomide exposure
      Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 622 guests online
      Up