Latest Topics

No posts to display.

More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

5 months post op, pain almost daily still.
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 5 months post op, pain almost daily still.

Re:5 months post op, pain almost daily still. 5 years, 6 months ago #22527

• AmyinNC
      • Junior Boarder
      it was 2 simple silly things. One time I went to drop something to my side, and my upper arm slung back far and I felt a "snap" and after an MRI some PT, etc...it felt better.
      Then a few months later my same arm slipped between couch cushions and hyper extended it and felt same pain..thats when we decided on surgery.

Re:5 months post op, pain almost daily still. 5 years, 6 months ago #22604

• AmyinNC
      • Junior Boarder
      anyone else with a been there done that, advice..?

Re:5 months post op, pain almost daily still. 5 years, 6 months ago #22611

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      Go back to the OS and if he/she doesn't give you a satisfactory answer, go for a second opinion.

One word of caution - I had a heck of a time trying to get a second opinion after having surgery. Even when I told them the surgeon TOLD me to get one - it is in my record "suggested that patient get second opinion." when I finally did see someone, all he did in his notes was rave about how wonderful the surgeon was. Well, he was his mentor, so that is to be expected but they STILL didn't want to see me. Others flat out refused after seeing the op notes. Finally I got in another office by leaving the news out that I had had surgery.

Re:5 months post op, pain almost daily still. 5 years, 6 months ago #22622

• dplatt
      • Junior Boarder
      I just finished my physical therapy and saw my surgeon for the last time last week. 22 weeks of physical therapy. Twice a week for the first 3 months and then once a week for the last 2. I had a 9-3 SLAP repair, SAC decompression, and subpectoral bicep tenodesis.

I started to feel pretty good by month 4, but still have times of pain. I am a little over 5 months now. My ROM is really good but still not 100%. Surgeon said it could take anywhere from 6 months to a year to be normal. What level of pain would you say you are having on a 1-10 scale (1 being very low and 10 being extreme)? Are you still taking NSAIDs?

Everyone heals differntly and the physical therapy program could have a lot to do with pain management. I went through at least 6 weeks of TENS therapy and ultrasound followed by icing sessions. I also went through some ASTYM which was done to break up some adhesions. I can say that was not very fun but did help a great deal:

astym.com/patients/treatment.asp

At home I was just very dilligent about my strengthening/stretching sessions. LOTS of pendulum swings, wall and sleeper stretches, and internal/external rotations. I still have days that my shoulder causes pain but instead of a 8-10 it's more of a 1-4. My surgeon said to expect flare ups and bouts of pain even up to a year out of surgery.

The big question is how is your strength? I know you said your ROM was good, but if you are having strength issues you could still have issues with your rotator cuff in which case I would definitely seek out a second opinion.

I know constant pain is absolutely exhausting and can be just plain depressing. I lived with my shoulder pain for 9 months prior to surgery, and then 4 more months post surgery. I sure felt there was no end in sight and often felt the surgery was unsuccessful. Only now am I starting to feel like I have a chance to regain full function of my shoulder pain free. I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated on your condition.
      Dan
      4/13/11- Arthroscopic SLAP Repair - 4 suture acnhors, SAD, and mini-open subpectoral bicep tenodesis.

Re:5 months post op, pain almost daily still. 5 years, 6 months ago #22623

• AmyinNC
      • Junior Boarder
      strength varies..but i would say i feel its not where it should be..some days I can't hold a gallon of milk without fear of dropping it!
      I have my dilaudid prescription, but only take them when I really really have to. Ill be honest and say most days, pain is a 3-5 with a few flare ups that go higher sometimes.

Re:5 months post op, pain almost daily still. 5 years, 6 months ago #22624

• dplatt
      • Junior Boarder
      3-5 pain level at 5 months with lack of strenth is concerning. But I'm not a surgeon or PT. I'm just speaking from my expereince. I would seek a second opinion or at least try a different PT. Are you still going to PT? What was your PT program like?

Know a second opinion is just that... a second "opinion". I don't want to throw a downer at you, but sometimes surgery doesn't fix the issue and you may have to learn to live with some amount of pain. But at 5 months out I certainly wouldn't worry about that. There is still room to heal and as I stated before, everyone heals differently.

Have you tried heat instead of ice? At a certain point the ice was no longer helping me. In fact it seemed to flare it up even more sometimes. So I started alternating between heat and ice.

I'm sorry for the continued pain. I would preach patience but I would be frustrated as well. My pain level is lower than yours and I am still frustrated. I just really want to feel normal again. Don't we all?
      Dan
      4/13/11- Arthroscopic SLAP Repair - 4 suture acnhors, SAD, and mini-open subpectoral bicep tenodesis.
      Time to create page: 0.45 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 220 guests online
      Up