No posts to display.

More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

Swollen, more pain in the evening, & sleeping woes
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Swollen, more pain in the evening, & sleeping woes

Swollen, more pain in the evening, & sleeping woes 2 years, 10 months ago #30427

• FeDawn
      • Senior Boarder
      Hi everyone!!
      I have been noticing that since I have been going to PT I have been a lot more swollen in my shoulder, bicep area, and shoulder blade area on the operated arm. I have been struggling with being so uncomfortable/in pain in the evening and when I'm trying to sleep. I've been given sleeping pills to try to assist with the sleeping (however it hasn't been helping much lately). I was also given a machine from PT yesterday (don't remember the name) where you stick little patches to you with currents that are supposed to help decrease the swelling.
      At this point I'm unsure what else to do or if this is just normal and I have to wait it out. I feel like I am going backwards in my pain, swelling, being uncomfortable, and lack of sleep and it's very frustrating. Please let me know if anyone else has gone through this and what has helped or if this is just part of recovery. At the very least I would LOVE to be able to get comfortable again and sleep for a few hours lol.. Thanks everyone!!!!!

Re: Swollen, more pain in the evening, & sleeping woes 2 years, 10 months ago #30430

• COgirl
      • Platinum Boarder
      I think pain is always worse in the evenings. I have arthritis and sometimes (weather-related) I feel awful by the end of the day. After PT, I'm not surprised you're hurting. As for the sleeping, that's a problem with all shoulder surgeries. Have you tried sleeping in a chair in an upright position? Or you could prop yourself up in bed. Another thing I used to do was make a "nest" of pillows. I had one on either side and one under my head. I still use 2 when my shoulder hurts. Sometimes propping up the bad shoulder helps. I've changed the way I sleep over the years because of shoulder pain.

Your therapist probably sent you home with a TENS unit. Have you been icing to get rid of the swelling?
      3/2010 Slap Tear Repair, Biceps tenotomy
      8/2012 Latarjet
      11/14 Total shoulder replacement

Re: Swollen, more pain in the evening, & sleeping woes 2 years, 10 months ago #30436

• Cavitator
      • Platinum Boarder
      If you are more than 4 weeks out and feel like you are no better or worse, then read up on CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome). Very unlikely but I wound up with it from surgery-caused plexus damage so it was a 100% certainty for me. Only reason I mention it is that the better outcomes involve early aggressive intervention, much different approach than you are getting now.
      3/51 Bilateral VIII C.N. complete neurectomy
      2/60 Failed Supratentorial electrotherapy w/subsequent pancerebral resection
      2/89 Bilateral aqueous humor drainage w/complete retinectomy
      3/02 Quadralateral proximal extremity resection from gestational thalidomide exposure

Re: Swollen, more pain in the evening, & sleeping woes 2 years, 10 months ago #30444

• FeDawn
      • Senior Boarder
      COgirl,
      Agreed about PT making it worse. I am fairly swollen and in pain. I spoke with the physical therapist today and she claimed it was "normal" to feel this way once PT started. She told me that my ROM is not where they want it to be either so I need to push further (although it's only been a week). I just struggle with getting the swelling and pain down so that I can actually make progress in my ROM lol. I have been icing it often, taking ibprofien, and using the tens unit (you were right, that's what it was) in order to assist. As for sleeping I use a wedge pillow to prop myself up with a bunch of pillows on top of them and one under my arm. Still doesn't fully do the trick. And lately i can't have anything touching my back at all without being in pain. Super stressful.

Cavitator,
      Thank you for the info. I have looked into that bad it doesn't look like I have the symptoms (besides pain) But I will keep it in mind if it dissent get any better. Thanks so much for the info.

Re: Swollen, more pain in the evening, & sleeping woes 2 years, 10 months ago #30447

• COgirl
      • Platinum Boarder
      I'm doing PT for a knee problem and I had a session today. I can hardly move. So I'd say your pain is related to PT. I just had to take a Norco. I'd rate my pain at 4 out of 10 right now. And that's just my knee. Shoulder is hurting too. Probably 3-4 out of 10 and my shoulder surgery was nearly 2 years ago. Haven't been sleeping well the last couple of nights. You're not alone.
      3/2010 Slap Tear Repair, Biceps tenotomy
      8/2012 Latarjet
      11/14 Total shoulder replacement

Re: Swollen, more pain in the evening, & sleeping woes 2 years, 10 months ago #30451

• FeDawn
      • Senior Boarder
      COgirl,
      Sorry to hear that you're are in pain as well. The shoulder is pretty painful, I couldn't imagine having both knee and shoulder hurt at the same time. I don't think my pain has been under a 5 out of 10 yet since surgery (5-9-14). Since I started PT I'm at about a 6-7.... Hopefully it gets better for the both of us
      Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 143 guests online
      Up