No posts to display.

More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

please help me understand my mri!!
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: please help me understand my mri!!

please help me understand my mri!! 8 years ago #10549

• puritan
      • Fresh Boarder
      i just received a copy of an mri that was done on my shoulder. i initially hurt my shoulder doing bench presses at the gym.
      here goes: the suraspinatus tendon demonstrates moderate tendinosis and mild fraying. the infraspinatus and subscapularis tendons demonstrate mild tendinosis. the anterior inferior labrum demonstrates small size and linear T2 hyperintensity consistent with probable tear. the is a tiny subchondral erosion with thinning of the overlying articular cartilage of the anteroinferior glenoid rim. the superior labrum demonstrates slight patchy
      t2 hyperintensity consistent with probable slight tear. the posterior labrum demonstrates no evidence of tear.
      what is the difference between an anteroinferior and superior labral tear?
      i have done PT for months and had a cortisone injection with no improvement. my doctor says he can arthroscopically repair the damage.
      can anyone figure this out and tell me what he would fix and if it would help? i would appreciate insight you could give me, thanks

Re:please help me understand my mri!! 8 years ago #10553

• sskylor
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Physical Therapist/Patient
      Puritan, You have found the right site. Your MRI looks probable for a labral tear. The differences in a SLAP vs a posterior tear is just the position of the tear. Most SLAP tears are in the neighborhood of 10-2 o'clock if someone were looking at your right shoulder. You also have tendonosis issues in most of the tendons, basically overuse. So I am guessing but you lift heavy but have not until maybe recently done any rotator cuff stretching and strengthening I would work on being sure of your lifting technique. The MRI will give your OS a good idea, but until he actually goes in with a scope, the details will only then be revealed. The recovery for most tears will be the same, so if you op for surgery (as conservative measures have failed) be prepared for alot of rehab and not being back lifting for 4 months and up to a year to feeling normal.

I feel strongly that you should not return to deep bench pressing with the elbows below chest level even after a repair as this does put tremendous stress on the labrum. Be sure to read thru this site and prepare yourself to enable a smooth recovery. Good luck.

Re:please help me understand my mri!! 8 years ago #10555

• puritan
      • Fresh Boarder
      thanks so much for your reply. would you mind answering another couple of questions? how reliable is the mri in detecting a tear? could it be a false positive? i would hate to have go through surgery if nothing was really wrong!

Re:please help me understand my mri!! 8 years ago #10558

• alex
      • Gold Boarder
      I think you need to combine MRI with physical examination and your level of discomfort. In my case MRI was read differently by 2 different surgeons, but physical examination by OS and PT were indicating SLAP tear. This was combined by lack of progress from physical therapy... I had a lot of little shoulder injuries and was always able to come back after rest and treatment, but labral tear felt different as I was not able to get back to normal.

Hope this helps,
      Alexei.

Re:please help me understand my mri!! 8 years ago #10561

• puritan
      • Fresh Boarder
      thanks so much for your help. i did have a physical exam that the doctor thought would be a slap tear. followed up with the mri.
      my daily life is disrupted due to the pain in my shoulder i have many questions that i am unsure of and would like to know about before surgery.if you could tell me if the mri(without dye) is reliable in detecting a tear. i've been reading that there are different levels of tears and i don't know what i have, or is that something determined at surgery? i am scheduled to have arthroscopy done on april 2 but like i said i don't want to go through this (doctor said i will be put to sleep). i can live with the amount of pain but my doctor said tears don't heal on their own. i am afraid if i don't do this i won't be able to play tennis, swim, etc. again i appreciate any info you know about!
      oh another important question, my mri also says something about tendonosis. what is the difference between that and tendonitis?
      is that something that will be worked on in surgery?
      Last Edit: 8 years ago by puritan.

Re:please help me understand my mri!! 8 years ago #10563

• alex
      • Gold Boarder
      tennis and swimming are my sports as well... my serve was gone post SLAP injury and swimming was a bit painful. I couldn't sleep on it either...
      MRI w/o dye is less conclusive... I think the most critical thing is lack of improvement in your physical ability. SLAPs do not heal on their own and overhead activities are prohibitive with them as they make it worse.
      I am 3 month out and pretty happy with my repaired shoulder. Can sleep on it again. Has not tried hitting yet, but back in the pool doing breast stroke.
      If your injury is recent one there is a good chance that you have a small tear. I ended up with only 1 anchor 4 month post injury and the number of anchors/damage somewhat determines the recovery timeline.
      Did you do any physical therapy? Might help to strenghten RC.

Alex.
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online