Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 10 Hours Post-op

10 Hours Post-op 7 years, 7 months ago #12727

• johnt0148
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Bi-lateral SLAP Tear Surgeries
      In 15 weeks I have had SLAP tear surgery on both shoulders. I feel like I am now an expert on going through SLAP tear surgery.

Today went better than before, except for the excruciating pain immediately after I woke up. It took 3 shots of morphine and a demerol to finally get it under control. I was shivering from the anesthia and every time I shook, it hurt more. I was itching all over and could not scratch. Too much pain to even think about getting better.

Now, things are much better, in fact for the first time since last Thanksgiving I have brief periods of zero pain. The impingement of my left shoulder was so bad it was fraying my rotator cuff, so when the slap tear was not hurting, the rotator cuff did.

My experience from both surgerys and reading this website is that the surgeron has got to know what he is doing. My surgeron is good, I mean really really good. I can't believe how much better I feel rigtht now, even though I know that 2 months of Painful PT are waiting for me.
      John

Re:10 Hours Post-op 7 years, 7 months ago #12732

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      John, glad to hear you're on your way to having 2 good shoulders. I know when I woke up from my most recent surgery I experienced the same thing you did. They opted not to do the nerve block and I remember waking up in the OR and the pain made me shake and even hyperventilate. I hadn't experienced that before and never want to again. they gave me a shot of something for nerve pain, followed by the maximum of morphine they could give me by IV and then a shot in the arm, followed by 2 percocet and a shot of gravol. I was feeling high as a kite by the time all was said and done. But i am glad you can already feel the difference and having the highest of confidence in your surgeon also helps a lot. as long as you know you are working towards the light at the end of the tunnel, the annoying and painful rehab are worth it. keep us updated.

Leanne
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re:10 Hours Post-op 7 years, 7 months ago #12733

• tennisgrl
      • Gold Boarder
      John~ I too think the surgeon is the key. The difference between my first and second surgery are amazing. I was praying to be shot after my first surgery but the second time around I could have went for a jog when I got home from the hospital (had I been allowed). I woke up itching and shivering too. Both not so great feelings when you are half aware and pretty much can't move...yours being worse since it was both though! Best wishes in healing.

Re:10 Hours Post-op 7 years, 7 months ago #12745

• johnt0148
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Bi-lateral SLAP Tear Surgeries
      Thanks so much, advocacy is so theraputic that I am feeling better already. Today is day 1 post-op and I am happy to report that I slept like a baby in my recliner strapped to by Breg Polar ice water machine. The percocet are helping and the only pain I feel is when I try to do something I am not suppose to do (Getting use to being a one-handed human all over again).
      I may even return to work today as I work at home.

The 2 things that feel so nice is number 1 - I don't have any more shoulders, and number 2 is that nagging dull pain in my left shoulder is gone like majic. It is wonderful.
      John

Re:10 Hours Post-op 7 years, 7 months ago #12762

• diverbree
      • Senior Boarder
      • Posterior Labral repair 11/2/09
      Hi,

I was diagnosed with a SLAP tear and the OS wants me to try PT for 4 weeks and then decide on surgery. I have had no change in strength etc since the injury on 7-9-09. The PT is telling me that PT won't fix my shoulder but may help to stabilize it. Did any of you have any success with PT? My shoulder aches all the time and I am very frustrated. I need full strength for my job and it seems like I am just prolonging my recovery by waiting to decide on surgery for another month? By reading your posts surgery does not sound appealing either but no more aching would be nice. Thank you for any information.

Re:10 Hours Post-op 7 years, 7 months ago #12763

• tennisgrl
      • Gold Boarder
      I tried PT (they didn't think it was a slap tear at first though) and it did help a little with the pain but once I started to use it more and back off the PT the pain came right back. Surgery is different for everyone. The worst part is the immobilization and not being able to use the arm. In my case, the first surgery didn't work but many of others had very successful first surgeries. The Rehab process is long but from what I understand, the more strength and motion you have going in the better you are after. If you do decide to do the surgery just be prepared for at least a 6 week or so initial recovery and rehab for a few months after. Goodluck with your decision.
      Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 236 guests online
      Up