Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 10 Hours Post-op

Re:10 Hours Post-op 7 years, 8 months ago #12790

• diverbree
      • Senior Boarder
      • Posterior Labral repair 11/2/09
      Hi Sharon,

Well my injury occurred at work. I am a police officer and was in a fight with an individual I was arresting. I was thrown into a ditch and I initially thought I landed on the top of my shoulder. Unfortunately I don't know for sure if that is what happened or if my arm was out and I landed on my side before rolling back to my feet. The exact details of that evening are not all crystal clear.

The surgeon I saw was suppose to be good. He is the team doctor for a AAA minor league baseball team and a consultant for the Mariners but he did not answer any questions. I asked if I would be able to throw a baseball again without surgery and he said that depends are you a AAA pitcher or just someone who will throw here and there. That was all he said and the rest of my questions were answered in the same manner. He then said if I needed surgery he would refer me to one of his colleagues. Walked away very frustrated. I am currently trying to find out about a surgeon the PT recommended and another surgeon a family friend has seen. The PT's surgeon is young and not a lot of info. THe other surgeon was voted one of Seattle's top docs and is a team doctor for the Sounders soccer team. Didn't have much luck with the first sports team doctor so a little undecided. The exercises I was doing were all below the shoulder. The scapular depressions were more of a shoulder shrug. Went to the PT today and she said not to do the exercises since they are irritating my shoulder. She told me to go to another surgeon even though I have only seen her two times so far. She seems to be straight forward and has said surgery is probably the best option. Her husband is a police officer so I think she understands how strong I need my shoulder to be. Her husband also had a small tear to his labrum last December and has been able to go the PT route so far.

I am trying to figure out which doc to see in the next few days then wait for an open appt. Just want a good surgeon so I can get back to work. Haven't been able to find much on the internet about the doctors. Mainly word of mouth.

Thanks again,
      Bree

Re:10 Hours Post-op 7 years, 7 months ago #12815

• illini
      • Junior Boarder
      Bree -I can appreciate how you are feeling right now. I went through 8 weeks of PT after my SLAP 2 was diagnosed. I'm involved in lots of sports, and found the lightweight and band exercises frustrating. I stuck with the PT protocol and it helped. Kept doing the PT regimen (by myself) a total of 7 months before finally deciding on the surgery. There was very little pain if I did very light sports, but playing more intense sports (basketball, baseball (pitching) and training for a marathon, it hurt like heck. That (and my young kids) is what made me finally decide on the surgery.

I'm a little more than a month post op. Things are going well. It is frustrating on how little I can do with the arm/shoulder, but patience is the key. It is a long rehab. I just know after 6 months, I should be able to let my 50 mph fastball fly.

Good luck!

Re:trying PT 7 years, 7 months ago #12882

• diverbree
      • Senior Boarder
      • Posterior Labral repair 11/2/09
      Thank you for the post. I saw another surgeon and they want me to try the PT for awhile. They said no SLAP tear but do have a posterior tear that starts at 10 o'clock, a partially torn rotator and a separated AC joint. Sure thought the AC joint would have healed in the past 8 weeks but ???. The PT does seem to be helping a little so I will keep my fingers crossed. The surgeon said the posterior labrum is frayed and pulled away from the bone but a portion is still attached. Has anyone heard of something like this healing on its own?

illini glad your surgery went well and hope you have a speedy recovery!
      Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 157 guests online
      Up