Username Password: Remember me

Tenodesis vs tenotomy
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: Tenodesis vs tenotomy

Tenodesis vs tenotomy 4 years, 3 months ago #27051

• Rollar11
      • Fresh Boarder
      I'm scheduled for a biceps tenodesis on 1/17/13 for recurrent SLAP tear. I'm terrified!!! Am I doing the right thing?! Instead of a tenotomy ?!
      image.jpg
      Christina

R Bucket handle tear 8/6/2002
      R open capsule for bankart repair 12/22/2005
      R revision bankart, SLAP tear type 2 11/2/2006
      Right arthroscopic repair of SLAP tear with open biceps tenodesis 1/17/2013

Re: Tenodesis vs tenotomy 4 years, 3 months ago #27057

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      Tenodesis is preferred for younger patients. I had it done with an endobutton - no pain, no cramping, easy recovery.

Re: Tenodesis vs tenotomy 4 years, 3 months ago #27058

• finny
      • Gold Boarder
      I had a biceps tenodesis on 11/28. It was my 5th surgery on a pretty damaged shoulder. I had the option of a tenotomy and did not want that for several reasons. In surgeries 2-4 I had had the short head of the biceps moved around and screwed back in, so I wasn't sure how that attachment point would handle being the only attachment point. I also didn't want the possible popeye defect and the potential loss of strength.

From what I've read, the tenodesis is a longer recovery, since it's a reattachment of the biceps. I'm at 5.5 weeks and should come out of the sling next week. I can't lift anything of any substance with that arm. For about 3 weeks I couldn't have done that anyway - even a pad of paper was too much. Now at 5.5 weeks, I feel like I can carry light things but I'm extremely careful. I expect to be in PT for 12 weeks but in the last week feel like things have really taken off, improvement wise.

As RiderK said, I think the decision depends on your age and activity level. I'm 52 and chose the tenodesis, but for complex reasons.

Re: Tenodesis vs tenotomy 4 years, 3 months ago #27062

• Rollar11
      • Fresh Boarder
      O ya definitely a tenodesis for you. I'm gonna "man up" and do it on the 17th. So my surgery is on a Thursday and I'm going back to work on Monday. Am I completely crazy? I work as a nurse in a doctors office. I know I can't lift anything, I'm just worried about the pain level.
      Christina

Re: Tenodesis vs tenotomy 4 years, 3 months ago #27064

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      Ah... back to work on Monday? Really? Why the rush? You will be in a sling most likely for at least 2 weeks.

Re: Tenodesis vs tenotomy 4 years, 3 months ago #27066

• Rollar11
      • Fresh Boarder
      Ya ill be in a sling for 4 weeks, I don't want to use PTO. I figured I would just sit at the computer and not move to much lol.
      Christina

• Page:
      Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 116 guests online