Username Password: Remember me

Chances I'll need surgery?
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: Chances I'll need surgery?

Chances I'll need surgery? 7 years, 2 months ago #15364

• maroon
      • Junior Boarder
      I was just diagnosed last week with a slap tear and bankarts lesion. I have an MR Arthrogram in a few days and my OS put me in PT right away. The doc wants to see me again in a few weeks to determine next steps.

I injured my shoulder 1 week and half ago at the gym. I've had this problem for a good 18 months. It comes and goes with exercise. My first injury was in 2000 playing rugby. This most recent injury, I felt my shoulder come out and there was popping.

I have some pain, a typical dull pain but certain movements make my shoulder more painful. Sometimes it clicks and catches too. I want to be prepared and this is disconcerting. I'm a 28 year old male.

My question for those experienced is are the chances high that I'll need slap repair surgery?

Re:Chances I'll need surgery? 7 years, 2 months ago #15406

• benl
      • Fresh Boarder
      Hey Maroon,
      Hate to say what you know already, but you'll have to rely on what your doctor tells you.
      I have to say that while there are success stories of SLAP repair on here, there are also many mishaps and you need to leave a year before things get right after surgery. The people that tell you they are back to action after 4 months seem to be few and far between.

Whether or not you are in need of surgery depends on:
      1. What your doctor tells you.
      2. How bad the pain is.
      3. Whether or not you could live with the recovery time/work.
      4. Does it impede on your day to day activities.

You need to make your own decisions based on that. IMO, once docs see SLAP tear, they usually offer up surgery as a "better" solution.

I am not a doctor, just had surgery in July 2009 and still recovering. Just had an MRI yesterday since the pain is not going away and things are worse (I think) than pre-surgery.

Re:Chances I'll need surgery? 7 years, 2 months ago #15417

• maroon
      • Junior Boarder
      Hi benl,

Thank you for the input. I just got out of my MR Arthrogram about an hour ago. I'm interested in getting the results later today or tomorrow morning to see what the deal is.

I've had the recurring shoulder pain for 9 or so years on and off so if he suggests surgery, depending on the findings, I think I would go through with it.

I ride a desk all day so I'm not super worried about my work situation.

Thank you for your feedback. Anyone out there have any really quick recoveries? If so, what was the extent of the injuries and ages?

Re:Chances I'll need surgery? 7 years, 2 months ago #15419

• benl
      • Fresh Boarder
      First off. Sorry about the Arthrogram. Man I had one yesterday and it sucked. Thanks to the creator of Ativan, cause that's the only way I got through it. Superstars get back to action in 4 months. I have heard of people that were back to shooting throwing (cautiously) at 4 months. I personally, was almost there. My ROM was great, just things never really got better and I had some set back (which I do not know what happened). I never really could throw anything though, nor shoot over my head, so not sure what's up with me at this point.
      Keep in mind, and this is critical, that not every tear is the same and not every surgeon is as good/bad as yours. So, there are variables there. Therapy is huge and you'll rely a lot on cold compresses. Cold got me through pain and I think helped me recover a LOT.

Best of luck... here is my whole story - slaptear.com/component/option,com_blogco...ry/id,264/Itemid,28/

Re:Chances I'll need surgery? 7 years, 2 months ago #15424

• maroon
      • Junior Boarder
      Thanks. I just called readiology to get my results from this morning and the radiologist said it was my orthopedist that would tell me the extent of what is going on in the joint. He did say, however, that there is a labral tear. We'll see when my orthopedist calls me back.

I'd like play golf sometime again and I hate reinjuring my shoulder every three months. I'm anxious to hear what he says.

Re:Chances I'll need surgery? 7 years, 2 months ago #15438

• maroon
      • Junior Boarder
      Talked to the nurse. The MRA report specified an anterior inferior labral tear, and a partial tear of the distal infraspinatus tendon. Was supposed to go back to see him in 3 weeks, but now they think I should come in early next week. I've been busy at my PT. My shoulder doesn't feel super weak, it just hurts like hell when I get dressed, or move my arm really. We'll see what they say.
      I expected the labrum, but I am unsure as to what to think when it comes to the distal infraspinatus tendon. Anyone have any experience with that?
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 607 guests online