Username Password: Remember me

Subacromial decompression
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: Subacromial decompression

Subacromial decompression 6 years, 3 months ago #19670

• virago
      • Junior Boarder
      Just wondered if anyone has had surgery to just get rid of the bone spurs and open up the AC joint rather than wait until the RC is torn? My right RC was done in April and I am doing well. But the left arm has all the warning pains I had before it got bad enough for an MRI. I have carefully followed all of the PT exercises that are supposed to open the AC joint area, but it is not helping. Praying that I don't already have a tear and wonder ing if having the simpler surgery now is a good idea. Appreciate any help I get. Thanks for all your previous good advice.

Re:Subacromial decompression 6 years, 3 months ago #19672

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      I had a subacromial decompression and bursectomy a few years back because of bad impingement, the recovery from that is definetly much simpler then a full cuff repair and if you and your OS feel that's the road you're heading down and you've tried the rehab from it, I would agree that procedure would be much better. Can pretty much get rid of the sling right away and start working on range and strengthening thereafter. general guidelines by most OS is recovery in 3 months (barring no repairs are needed). I would definetly have a discussion with your OS about it tho and see what they think, but you're on the right track.

Leanne
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re:Subacromial decompression 6 years, 3 months ago #19673

• virago
      • Junior Boarder
      Thank you. I appreciate your helpful experience and comments. Have a dr. appt next week and will get the needed referral.

Re:Subacromial decompression 6 years, 3 months ago #19695

I had the surgery. The OS made it sound like it was no big deal and (IMO) gave me a false sense of security. I was careful, did my PT, etc - but here it is a year later and I NEVER felt better than before the surgery. Actually worse, and now I have a SLAP lesion that I'll get surgery for (w/ another doc) over the summer.

My PT now tells me she was not in support of my going back to work and travel as early as the doc allowed. YMMV - good luck!

Re:Subacromial decompression 6 years, 3 months ago #19709

• Shh9902
      • Gold Boarder
      I'm with Rusty on this one.

Surgery #5 is in 12 days. My last R shoulder surgery was an SAD... and it was definitely the "no big deal" surgery of all the one's I've had. But what wasn't a "big deal" surgically became a big deal because I never actually recovered, so what wasn't a big deal, became a HUGE deal. And now, they are going in to revise the SAD and do a distal clavicle resection (along with some repairs).

If you're going to have an SAD/bursectomy, ask about the AC joint resection. My OS explained that sometimes with an SAD, you'll need the AC joint resection later (as in my case) because of the way the joint moves once the acromion has been changed. Especially in women (although it can happen to anyone), because their frames are smaller, it can create a complication that needs to be fixed (or it can just be done at the time of the surgery).

Re:Subacromial decompression 6 years, 3 months ago #19710

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      That is what I am having in a week - distal clavicle resection and biceps tenodesis, 13 months after cuff repair and 5 months after lysis of adhesions, and SAD.

So, from those who know, what is the recovery like for these procedures? My cuff repair recovery was very difficult, the second surgery was a breeze.
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.86 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 179 guests online