Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

You've got to read this!!!
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: You've got to read this!!!

You've got to read this!!! 9 years, 8 months ago #2011

• chykcha
      • Platinum Boarder
      Wow, had the surgery Thursday morning, was first case. Wake up from anesth with bad pain in my back, on the right (operative) side below scapula, and it runs down my back. I tell the nurse, she tells me that "it's referred pain from surgery." Ok...

I am horribly tacky at the same time, my heart rate is in 130s, when my baseline is 50-60 bpms. "oh, you're healthy, anesthesia does not want to investigate it." Ok...

I can't breathe well, I gasp for air. I tell the surgeon's PA, she tells me "oh, it's because the regional block paralizes half of your diaphragm." Ok...

Once my heartrate is below 100 (it was 99), I am sent home. I come home, still can't breathe, still tachycardic, and now I have bad chest pain and crepitus over my sternum. At this point, my husband takes me to ER with chief complaint to rule out upper right pneumothorax.

I was diagnosed with 20% pneumothorax because the anesthesiologist punctured my lung during block and pump placement and because no one listens to their patients. The pain is horrible and I am seriously pissed.

So, here's the lesson. If you think something's wrong, push for them to get off their lazy asses and investigate it properly! If you don't advocate for yourselves, no one else will care. Pass it on.

P.S. Sorry for the tone, but I sound like bubble wrap everytime I move because of air trapped in my tissues, I hurt, and just got out of a 2.5 day stay in hospital.

Re:You've got to read this!!! 9 years, 8 months ago #2013

• colleen
      • Gold Boarder
      OMG!!!!!!!! I can't believe they wouldn't listen to you. That is crazy and I would make them pay for your emergency room visit!!! That is absolute crap and you have every single right to be pissed. I know I would be. I would seriously write a letter to the hospital about the anethsiologist and the nurses that they wouldn't help you. How are you doing now?? Hopefully some of the pain has subsided. Take it easy and get some rest.
      Colleen

Re:You've got to read this!!! 9 years, 8 months ago #2015

• Andy
      • Administrator
      I am completely in shock! That's incredible! I'm so sorry for you, the shoulder was plenty to deal with and now this. What a bunch of tools!

How long does it take for the pneumothorax to heal? Here's another question. My nerve block was above my collarbone. Your's was lower than this? It sounds like yours was much lower, near the bottom of your rib cage.

I'm going to put this at the top of the page because it's a huge lesson for other people.

These doctors, physical therapists, nurses, all of them are just people like us. Some of them are fantastic, others sometimes make mistakes, some don't really care and others are complete idiots. it's completely okay to ask as many questions with them as you want and

If you think something's wrong, push for them to get off their lazy asses and investigate it properly! If you don't advocate for yourselves, no one else will care.

Well said, get better soon! We are thinking of you!

Re:You've got to read this!!! 9 years, 8 months ago #2023

• colleen
      • Gold Boarder
      Yes, Andy you are so right!!!!! We need to push these docs and people in the professional field, they are just like us and they do make mistakes!!!! My physical therapist retore mine and I had to push my doc hard on doing something about it. He finally did!!!! I paid the price though. But we all need to push them if something has gone wrong!!

Colleen

Re:You've got to read this!!! 9 years, 8 months ago #2027

• karenm
      • Platinum Boarder
      chykcha,

I am so sorry to hear what you had to go through. After everything else you didn't need that. When the pain pump is done correctly it works great. I really didn't have much pain until it was removed. I hope your feeling better soon.

Karen

Re:You've got to read this!!! 9 years, 8 months ago #2029

• chykcha
      • Platinum Boarder
      Thank you, everyone, for your warm wishes and thoughts. After all this, the PA came to my hospital, without an invitation, and proceeded to tell me that I am just emotional and it's really no big deal. Huh! I couldn't believe my ears. So, anyone knows a particularly viscious medical malpractica lawyer in Portland?
      Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 203 guests online
      Up