My Biceps Tenodesis Journey
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: My Biceps Tenodesis Journey

My Biceps Tenodesis Journey 5 years, 1 month ago #24309

• akadiane5
      • Fresh Boarder
      Hi all!
      I've been checking this site out for awhile now - lots of good info from some wonderful people!

My Story:
      I never thought it would happen to me, but I got hurt at work. Lots of repetition in a fast pace warehouse with overhead use. I went to lift a case and felt a VERY weird sensation. I immediately put the case down. When I tried again, I felt a pop and that was it... Owee.

This injury really put the brakes on in my life. I'm an outdoorsy person. I love canoeing, kayaking, waterskiing, snowboarding, gardening, and all that stuff. I also like home renovation/decorating and after the injury there was none of that. When you feel like your arm is gonna pop out of its socket at the slightest wrong move, it puts a damper on all those activities.

Fast forward a year and 4 months after the injury date, I finally receive arthroscopy and a biceps tenodesis to fix the issue. Dr said my long head biceps tendon was very frayed throughout the shoulder cavity, and was twice its size due to inflammation. I'm happy to report that surgery was a success and that the initial pain in my shoulder is gone!

Some issues I've had to deal with since surgery:
      Monster armpit/upper arm rash. LOL but also not funny - that itchiness is no joke. Dr said use ATHLETE'S FOOT POWDER (make sure the wound is covered!) and I got immediate relief.

I had a leaky incision on my upper arm (about a 1 in incision. Some Dr's approach it arthroscopically, others do an open incision). When the steri strips fell off 8 days post op, I freaked cause it was smelly and gray and looked like it was covered in egg whites. So gross. However, after 24 hrs it improved dramatically - thank heavens no infection.

Muscle cramps and spasms in the affected arm. I found that alternating ice and heat helped relieve the intense cramping. Definitely Not Fun.

And that's about it I'm currently 3wks post op and doing quite well. Yes I'm still uncomfortable (muscle tightness, spasms), but following my PT's exercises have given me more ROM and I'm realistically looking for a full recovery in 6-9 months.

Thanks for reading and best wishes to everyone in their recovery!
      L Biceps Tenodesis 2/17/12

PT issues 5 years, 1 month ago #24375

• akadiane5
      • Fresh Boarder
      I do PT 2x a wk. My last PT session (4th visit) was horrible. The session started with AAROM (normal). Then she did cross friction massage on the anchor incision site... OW! It felt like hot needles being stuck in there! I told her I was very uncomfortable, but she continued. I finally told her to stop cause I was in pain. My upper arm flushed bright red - she said not to worry, it's just a histamine reaction. ? Then we started my AROM exercises... and she added one pound weights. I was surprised to be adding weight so soon. After about 50 arm reps with weights (and 60 without), my session was done and I was EXHAUSTED (which I expected). What I didn't expect was 1) a sleepless night. My shoulder/arm throbbed. I iced throughout the night. 2) the next morning, I felt like I regressed a week. My armpit and surrounding area was considerably swollen. I tried calling the office, but they were closed for the weekend. Has anyone else had weight added to their regimen so soon after surgery? And what are others experiences with cross friction massage? Could she have forgotten that I was only 26 days post op? I'm concerned that this was all done too soon...

Re: PT issues 5 years, 1 month ago #24378

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      If you aren't comfortable with your PT, get a new one. I've had a couple excellent ones, another place was pretty bad - "here do this 10 times while I type into the laptop...."

Re: PT issues 5 years, 1 month ago #24392

• akadiane5
      • Fresh Boarder
      Thank You riderk - I saw a different PT in the office today (mine had the day off) and she concluded that shoulders can be finicky but my last therapy session appears to have been prematurely advanced. I sprained some tendons within my shoulder as a result. Such an unnecessary and painful setback... She did myofacial release which helped. I go back tomorrow and if Im not happy with my session, I will be switching PT's.

Re: My Biceps Tenodesis Journey 5 years, 1 month ago #24423

• akadiane5
      • Fresh Boarder
      Thank heavens for myofacial release therapy! It has been the only thing to provide comfort since my PT mishap. Apparently the results of last weeks PT session is a strained deltoid tendon, a strained triceps tendon, and strained/possibly torn pectoral tendon that lies within the armpit. Im very disappointed - and I see the Dr again next week to hear what he has to say. Words of advice to others: if you are concerned with what your PT is having you do, voice your concern! If you think it's too early to perform certain exercises, it probably is.

Peace out and happy healing

Re: My Biceps Tenodesis Journey 5 years, 1 month ago #24475

• akadiane5
      • Fresh Boarder
      6 weeks post op and doing well. Shoulder has finally overcome the PT mishap (took 2 weeks), is feeling better and ROM is improving. Pec tendon is still sore into the armpit, as well as front of shoulder, but I've found that concentrating on my posture, shoulders down and back, gives me a good stretch and alleviates most of the pain. PT is concerned about humeral head migration though... Strenghening the shoulder muscles in proportion is going to be very important in my future as I want to stay away from any more surgeries. But all in all things are going well and I'm pleased with the work the Dr has done.

Happy healing everyone
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE