More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Failed bicep tenodesis

Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 10 months ago #25022

• Benny6057
      • Junior Boarder
      Hi I'm new here and this is my first post because I need some advice. I'm 9 weeks post op from a completely torn rotator cuff repair and bicep tenodesis. I spent six weeks completely immobile in an arm sling and when released from that I was told I had frozen shoulder syndrome (adhesive capsulitis) which my dr had expected. I have been doing three assisted range of motion exercises since released from the sling which hurt but get through them ok. I have been instructed to do these until my next appt at which time I will be twelve weeks post op and he will start strengthening exercises.

Here's the problem.... I was in the pool playing with my daughter when a beach ball floated by. I picked up the ball with my left hand (operated arm) and slapped it back to its owner. I inadvertently slapped my hand at the same time forcing it to straighten out abruptly. I felt a stabbing pain and knew I messed something up. Later that night I noticed I had a really nice large (popeye) bicep muscle without even flexing it. The pain went away after a day or so with no bruising but the Popeye is still there. I'm pretty sure that the tendon has torn loose from the anchor.

It has been a week today and my dr is out on vacation for another week. If this needs to be repaired, how long can one wait before its too late to be repaired? Do I even need to repair it? How much strength if any will I lose if I don't? I have been off of work for two and a half months and frankly I'm running out of leave and don't have enough leave left to take another eight to twelve weeks off?

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated, this is very frustrating and disappointing.
      SLAP repair rt shoulder June 2010
      Biceps Tenodesis rt arm June 2010
      SAD rt shoulder June 2010
      SLAP repair w/ 5 anchors left shoulder April 2012
      Biceps tenodesis left shoulder April 2012
      SAD left shoulder April 2012
      Bicep tenodesis revision surgery July 2012
      Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by Benny6057. Reason: Misspelled word

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 10 months ago #25027

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      In this case, most would just leave it the way it. There is not much strength difference without the tendon (the long head of the biceps provides only about 20% of strength for the muscle). The main difference is the cosmetic component, that being the popeye...if you can live with that most surgeons would rather not do anything and after a tenodesis I don't think they can repair a rupture. Some notice a little cramping with vigorous biceps exercise. John Elway ruptured his long head biceps tendon and went on to win a superbowl with it that way, so it is possible to even be an elite athlete without that tendon.

Hope that helps a bit...if you are short on leave from work, it's probably best to just leave it.
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 10 months ago #25031

• Benny6057
      • Junior Boarder
      Thanks Leanne, I didn't realize strength should decrease that little, I hope you are right.

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 10 months ago #25041

• Benny6057
      • Junior Boarder
      Saw my OS today concerning my bicep and he confirmed that the tenodesis has in fact failed. He recommends surgery next Tuesday to repair it using a button method. He said that I will be a week in a sling and then I could start passive ROM exercises and it will not hinder my progression of strengthening my shoulder which I had slap repair done 9 weeks ago.

Anyone have their bicep tendon repaired this way? I will have to return to work 6 weeks after surgery because I will have completely exhausted all of my leave. Concerned about not having enough time for it to heal.

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 10 months ago #25042

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      I had the endobutton tenodesis. That was one procedure that went very well for me - very little pain, sling for 2 weeks. I posted my xrays and you can see the "button." (search "before and after" as a title under keyword advanced search.)
      Good luck - most people don't bother with repairing that.

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 10 months ago #25043

• Benny6057
      • Junior Boarder
      Wow that's a pretty dramatic before and after. I'm young (drs words) 48 and lead a very active lifestyle ie working out, competitive cyclist, golfer and father of two young active girls so he said it would benefit me. Just worried that I won't have enough time to heal properly before returning to work and of course not really looking forward to going under the knife again.
      Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.