More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Failed bicep tenodesis

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 8 months ago #25166

• Benny6057
      • Junior Boarder
      Quick update...I had my two week post op appt yesterday with my OS and he said everything went fine during the surgery. He said the tendon was hanging on by a few strands and that it was "diseased" and frayed, thus the tearing loose of the anchor. He had a twenty dollar word for the disease which I can't remember. He said that the tear wasn't my fault and it would have torn off eventually. I had several questions for him but one that I forgot to ask that has been bugging me is that it has only been 13 weeks since the original surgery, was the tendon diseased then or get diseased after? Seems he wouldn't have anchored a diseased tendon in the first place. Now I'm happy it's fixed but concerned about his "diseased" comment. Trying to talk to him in person is useless without an appt and my next one is in three months so I guess I'll wait.
      SLAP repair rt shoulder June 2010
      Biceps Tenodesis rt arm June 2010
      SAD rt shoulder June 2010
      SLAP repair w/ 5 anchors left shoulder April 2012
      Biceps tenodesis left shoulder April 2012
      SAD left shoulder April 2012
      Bicep tenodesis revision surgery July 2012

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 8 months ago #25170

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      My first surgeon and the OS I saw for a second opinion said the exact same thing- diseased tendon. The explanation I got was that it means it is abnormal in some fashion - not "diseased" as we usually think of the term. Most people over a certain age have fraying and whatnot. I've heard enough to realize what they tell you may not actually match the absolute truth, just because they see so many and they most likely all run together after a week. Read your operative notes - that will give you the best definitive idea of what was seen and done. Two weeks or two months later, we probably get dribble that justifies the surgery. Did you get copies of the op notes? I would advise you to get that, plus all your visit notes. I have my entire file of notes from all surgeons and PT. You never know when you will need it. If you ask the doc's office, you will get them easier than filling out a request for copies - they are hard to read and you have to pay if you want "official" documents.

My "diseased" supraspinatus was anchored once, and the plan was to repair it again, but didn't need it.

I asked my OS exactly what went wrong with my humeral head resurfacing and never heard anyone change the direction of the conversation so fast.

The one honest answer we've been given is when, after the replacement, my husband asked the surgeon why he was so positive there was a rotator cuff tear (there was not) and why the xray looked the way it did with superior migration. The doc paused (a pregnant pause if there ever was one) and said "I don't know." There you go - probably one of the most honest answers a shoulder surgeon can give. And he wrote the book on complex and revision problems, literally.
      Last Edit: 4 years, 8 months ago by riderk.

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 8 months ago #25171

• Benny6057
      • Junior Boarder
      RiderK thanks for the advice, I didn't think to ask for operative notes. I guess I just always take what my dr tells me at face value because I really like him and trust he knows his stuff. I'm a former Marine and he was in the Navy so we have a friendly banter between us.

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 8 months ago #25172

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      I didn't mean to say he isn't a great doc! I had a great open professional relationship with my surgeons. But they do read your notes before coming in to see you. Who on this forum was saying their doc sees 500 patients a year? 20-30 a day? They can't possibly remember details and must refresh their memories by reading your record before coming in. Believe me, I've seen a doc every month for almost 3 years now. My first surgeon knew me well - i must have 25 pages of emails between us. I did cry when i found out he was moving (lol - I can being a woman!)

To put your mind at ease, call tomorrow and ask his office manager to scan and email your op notes. They should be very detailed and should answer your questions.

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 8 months ago #25231

• Benny6057
      • Junior Boarder
      RiderK, I took your advice and ordered all the notes from my surgeries and picked them up yesterday. $20 but I feel a fair price since they are about a quarter ream of paper thick. Found out some very interesting stuff i.e. I didn't realize my shoulder surgery 3 months ago required 5 anchors and one screw to repair or that the labrum was 100% torn off.

One thing I didn't like was the revision surgery notes for the failed bicep tenodesis performed 3 weeks ago didn't say anything about a "diseased" tendon, only that the tenodesis failed while the patient was playing water volleyball, what?? I hit a beach ball back to a kid that the wind had blown In my direction. I love my doc but I think this is a clear case of him covering his own butt. That or they are so busy that when he dictates his notes after the fact he forgets half of what we talked about. In retrospect I remember how fast he answered with diseased tendon when I asked him why he thought it failed, as if I caught him off guard and that's the standard response. Anyways it's fixed and feels great. I guess I need to take off my Sherlock Holmes hat and be happy it's healing fine. Shoulder is 3 1/2 months post op and feels great.

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 8 months ago #25232

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      My first surgeon wrote great, detailed notes, except he said I was thrown from a horse, when I was knocked down - easy enough mistake. He told me that I would never see such detail from any other orthopod in visit notes, and he was right. The second was more boilerplate with the office visits- I'd go in complaining about pain and he'd say I'm doing fine.

What did surprise me is that the third one actually described the huge mistake the second one made in his operative notes. I am kind of surprised he threw him under the bus seeing as he was his fellow. I am not going to do anything about it, though, even though it cost me a total replacement and thousands of dollars out of pocket to travel to get it done. The big cheese at the first institution I went to refuses to see any patients of shoulder docs in his department because that would be admitting there was a mistake.
      Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 606 guests online
      Up