More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Failed bicep tenodesis

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 10 months ago #25044

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      Well, I was a "young" mid-50's, very active, strong woman - not so much now after the accident and 5 surgeries culminating in that replacement.

Quite a few folks on this forum complain about pain from the tenodesis and difficult recovery. I don't know if using that button makes a difference, but I had no problem with recovery. Had a distal clavicle excision at the same time.

anyway, the jury is out on tenodesis vs tenotomy (cut the bicep and leave it be). This is from the journal Arthroscopy in april, 2012:
      :

Tenotomy and tenodesis have comparably favorable results in the literature, with the only major difference being a higher incidence of cosmetic deformity with biceps tenotomy. However, there is currently no consensus regarding the use of tenotomy versus tenodesis for the treatment of lesions of the long head of the biceps brachii. The lack of prospective, randomized trials limits our ability to recommend 1 technique over the other. There is a great need for controlled trials to investigate the differences between these 2 procedures. Individual patient factors and needs should guide the surgeon on which procedure to use.

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 10 months ago #25045

• Benny6057
      • Junior Boarder
      I've been struggling in my mind whether to fix it or leave it be but in the end I decided, "nothing ventured nothing gained". If I have it fixed again and it fails then I am back to where I am right now, no harm no foul. If I don't fix it I will forever wonder if it would have worked or not, especially when I look down at my arm and see whatever (if any) deformity I am left with. Tough choice and I thank you for all your insight. I think you are one of the only pieces of information I can find on the web about bicep tendon repair of the upper arm, most info is about distal ruptures.
      SLAP repair rt shoulder June 2010
      Biceps Tenodesis rt arm June 2010
      SAD rt shoulder June 2010
      SLAP repair w/ 5 anchors left shoulder April 2012
      Biceps tenodesis left shoulder April 2012
      SAD left shoulder April 2012
      Bicep tenodesis revision surgery July 2012
      Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by Benny6057.

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 10 months ago #25049

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      Best of luck and hope it is OK for you to get back to work on time!

I took the whole summer off - as a college librarian, I can choose a summer contract up to 8 weeks. Seeing as I've been immobilized for 6 weeks, and cannot even lift my arm (right dominant, of course) now after this total replacement, I need the time!

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 10 months ago #25051

• Benny6057
      • Junior Boarder
      Best of luck to you as well

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 10 months ago #25054

• akadiane5
      • Fresh Boarder
      I had a tenodesis 4 months ago. As far as going back to work - it really depends on how you feel and what type of work you do. My Dr said he's had patients go back to desk jobs in as little as 2 weeks.

If you have a physically demanding job, I'd recommend taking the full 6 weeks. Hopefully your employer will allow you to return to work with temporary restrictions as you get back into the work routine. If you don't feel physically ready, maybe you can apply for an extension? (many states have FMLA Federal Medical Leave Act that protects your job due to personal injury - ask your employer about it).

Best Wishes!
      L Biceps Tenodesis 2/17/12

Re: Failed bicep tenodesis 4 years, 10 months ago #25055

• Benny6057
      • Junior Boarder
      Diane thanks for your good wishes. I plan on going back to work August 20th which will give my bicep six weeks to heal. I have a physically demanding job working for the govt and have been on FMLA coverage since April 18 (initial surgery). FMLA only protects you for twelve weeks but since I'm a veteran and work for the govt I'm not worried about losing job, just about going back too soon. However this revision of my bicep is gonna make me use every last minute of leave I have left, but I have no choice.
      Time to create page: 0.50 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.