Latest Topics

No posts to display.

More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

Broken Finger - Suggest some exercises for me!
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: Broken Finger - Suggest some exercises for me!

Broken Finger - Suggest some exercises for me! 5 years ago #24367

• Andy
      • Administrator
      Hey all,

Well it was bound to happen eventually. I'm a customer of my own website again!

Today, while trying to fix my door frame (broke it with my pull up bar) I managed to jam my finger and give myself a condition known as "Mallet finger." Basically the first knuckle is broken and then the tendon has nothing to connect to. The tip of the finger drops and I can't straighten it. After a trip to the doctor I have a splint that I have to wear for 8 weeks! I can't believe how slow to heal this is. The worst part is that if the splint comes off, I'll have to start the recovery again.

I was doing really well. I was three weeks away from finishing my second cycle of p90x and was feeling really good. Now I can't really do any pullups or pushups or arm exercises, very much like after my slap tear

So what should I do? I'm thinking I can do lots of squats and core exercises. Any other suggestions for me?

I know lots of you guys are battling shoulder issues and might be thinking "finger? big deal!" Just remember, I've already done the shoulder thing..

Cheers,
      Andy

Re: Broken Finger - Suggest some exercises for me! 5 years ago #24369

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      If it makes you feel better, Andy, my new PC doc said he was a quivering mass of whining pain when he broke his finger and could finally understand what his patients are complaining about!

Re: Broken Finger - Suggest some exercises for me! 4 years, 12 months ago #24430

• Andy
      • Administrator
      I figured I'd write an update as I've answered my own question and this will help out if someone is looking to answer the same question.

I bought a set of pushup bars and they put the weight on the palm and don't seem to bother my finger (ring finger / left hand.) So I'm able to still crank out pushups. I can obviously still do core work, but I substitute a medicine ball for dumbbells.

The medicine ball is a great total body workout. I only bought a 10 pound ball, but after a few sets it feels like 50. The ball works great for a broken finger because I use my palm to apply force rather than trying to grip a dumbbell.

Running is fine, no issues. I'm going to try road biking and see if I have enough grip with my thumb and first two fingers to ride safely.

Pull ups are out because I need to grip the bar and can't do it with three fingers. I'm going to buy some wrist hooks and see if I can still do rows.

In short, this hasn't slowed me down much and has actually really allowed me to refocus on my core with I need to strengthen for distance running.

Cheers,
      Andy

Re: Broken Finger - Suggest some exercises for me! 4 years, 12 months ago #24435

• RedOwl
      • Senior Boarder
      been there...

You've already hit just about everything that I used when this happened to me a few years ago. Push up bars are great. I used wrist wraps for rows but never tried them for pull ups. The Medicine Ball is great too. Google "Medicine Ball 300" for a great core workout. You can also use your elastic bands for pressing movements if you hook the handle with your thumb only.
      BTW, I am two weeks into P90X and feeling good.
      SLAP tear repair and biceps tenodesis 3/2/2011
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online