Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: extensive slap tear

extensive slap tear 3 years ago #29828

• scaff1980
      • Fresh Boarder
      I'm very new to this forum so excuse me for asking so many questions. I am a 33 yr old scaffolder who has been suffering sholuder pain for a while now. Thoughtbit was just over use at work ant the gym.
      Had all sorts of tests and the latest results have just come back from a mra scan.
      The results was a extensive slap tear associated with a small labral cyst in the posterior superior labrum on the right shoulder.
      As well as osteoarthirtis of both ac joints.
      They said im not displaying any symptoms of the slap tear and want to see if the pain will go using cortisone in both shoukders, although they have booked me in for a op, well on waiting list anyway.
      Does any one think I really need the op?
      Although it niggles at work a bit I can still do my job and have not lost no strength in either shoulder.
      My plan is to save a bit of money and have the op next yr as I know it is a long recovey after op, especially with my job.
      Does any one think that is wise oram I being foolish?

Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed, many thanks

Re: extensive slap tear 3 years ago #29872

• backspin
      • Fresh Boarder
      Not sure I understand the logic here. You do have shoulder pain, and the MRI was positive for an extensive SLAP tear, but they say you are not showing SLAP tear symptoms? Based on what? The usual clinical tests of moving your arm and shoulder around (O'Brien,etc)? But those clinical tests are usually just an easy, inexpensive alternative to an MRI and are widely accepted to be less conclusive than an MRI. You had the MRI - so this all sounds a bit odd.

I had almost the same diagnosis as yours - SLAP tear, right shoulder, with a labral cyst. They gave me cortisone before confirming with an MRI, and yes, it did help mask the pain temporarily. But tears don't fix themselves. And I was in pain or discomfort most of the time. Sleeping was awful - no comfortable position. I ended up having the surgical repair, though not right away - I put it off for several months so I could enjoy the summer and fall. Although mine was not a typical recovery - in PT for 5 months - after a year things felt pretty normal, with just some loss of strength and range of motion.

If you can tolerate the discomfort and still do your job, and IF they don't think you'll do more damage while waiting - then go ahead and wait. You can always change your mind.

Re: extensive slap tear 3 years ago #29889

• scaff1980
      • Fresh Boarder
      Thanks for your input backspin much appreciated.
      I had pt before my results came back fron the mra and she said she was 90% positive it was shoulder impingement, as my rom and strength was good,
      What i meant was none of the symptoms of a slap tear as in no catching or clicking people talk about and i can sleep just fine even on my side.
      The only pain i am getting is at work like a short sharp pain within the shoulder.
      The other pain i am gettting is due to the arthritis which is a burning pain in shoulders and traps when doing over head lifting and working.
      I really dont know how much more damage i will do to myself if i ignore it and carry on working, but at the same time who can afford to take 12 months off on silly money on the sick.

How come yours was no normal recovery? Is 5 months of pt not common procedure?

Re: extensive slap tear 3 years ago #29890

• backspin
      • Fresh Boarder
      5 months is a bit long for post-surgical PT. I had an unusual amount of pain and problem with ROM right after surgery. The doc wanted me to start PT 2 days after surgery but even after 4 days the therapist couldn't even take me out of the sling without bringing me to tears. So that gave me a very slow start.

Part of it too was that because I'm over 50, they treated me like an old guy - meaning the therapy protocol they used, stretching techniques, etc. By 4 months I hit a plateau where I hadn't improved as much as I should. Then my usual therapist was away and a more experienced one was trying different stretching/manipulation techniques on me. Suddenly my shoulder moved without pain. He said that was very odd - it was a technique they use on teenage pitchers, but he'd never used it on an older guy. So that caused them to change my protocol, and I was out of there in a month.

Since the MRI indicates that you have a tear, I'm not sure how they can be certain that the pain you feel is unrelated to that, but I guess it is possible. Maybe the lack of discomfort sleeping is a major indicator since discomfort sleeping is such a common SLAP tear symptom.

I any case - good luck!
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online