Username Password: Remember me

Scapholunate ligament!!!
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: Scapholunate ligament!!!

Scapholunate ligament!!! 7 years ago #16376

• chykcha
      • Platinum Boarder
      Ok... I have had three shoulder surgeries and haven't rehabilitated my shoulder completely yet, and now I have another musculoskeletal affliction.

I fell at work and landed on my left wrist, causing the scapholunate ligament to tear. I have seen three surgeons in hopes that at least one of them will recommend concervative treatment. But alas, all three said that surgery is necessary. It sounds like I will need an extensive reconstruction, where they make two big incisions, borrow part of another ligament, thread it under scaphoid and attach it to lunate. I am so not looking forward to that. Does anyone here have any experience with that type of repair? I just dont' know what to expect in terms of pain and recovery. Also, I have never had to deal with SAIF/worker's comp before, so am not entirely sure about how things are done. Thanks for you advice!

Re:Scapholunate ligament!!! 7 years ago #16381

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      although i don't have the same injury as you, i kind of have a sense of what you're going through.

i hurt my wrist in may '09 rehabbing from biceps tenodesis done on 27/03/09 and tore my TFCC (wrist meniscus on ulna side) doing protraction and retraction. After having x-rays/CT/MRI I also found out I had a non-union fracture of scaphoid, fracture/chondral lesion of triquetral, and then the TFCC cartilage tear that extended to the radial attachment.

OS said only option was surgery but he was hesitant to do it at that point because of my shoulder rehab. I would have to be in a long arm cast for at least 8 weeks and he said that would be risky and would ultimately really set me back in shoulder rehab. The scaphoid fracture is almost 5 years old, so he said i'm pretty much beyond the point of being able to fix it, so he said there is no rush on that.

so, needless to say, i've been in a jam with that and having had 5 shoulder surgeries. I will be having another major shoulder surgery in the coming months, and that takes precedence over the wrist. i bought a wrist attachment for cryocuff to help with pain and also have a splint. it really bothers me somedays, but i just am not ready to take the risk with surgery yet. i've read that wrist surgeries dealing with ligaments can be really hit or miss. obviously, your injury is different from mine but you could expect a lot of shoulder compensation through the rehab so i would heal the shoulder first. at the end of the day, it all depends how much it bothers you. if you can't handle it, then go ahead with the surgery, if not, i would hold off.

keep us updated!

Leanne
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re:Scapholunate ligament!!! 7 years ago #16408

• chykcha
      • Platinum Boarder
      Wow Leanne... 5 shoulder surgeries, that's tough. Luckily (or not), my injury is on the other side from my bad shoulder. or are you talking about my non injured wrist shoulder being stressed?

Why do you need another surgery?

Re:Scapholunate ligament!!! 7 years ago #16410

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      I redislocated my shoulder a few months ago and have been dislocating on nearly a daily basis now. I have a full thickness tear of my subscap and partial tear of my supraspinatus and waiting for an MRI to confirm how much labral damage there is. So I'm looking at another stabilization surgery and rotator cuff repair within the next few months.

i would think it being your opposite wrist, i would let your opposite shoulder heal first because you would be using it more after surgery. it really all depends how much it bothers you.

Leanne
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re:Scapholunate ligament!!! 7 years ago #16428

• chykcha
      • Platinum Boarder
      Wow, Leanne... I am very sorry to hear of your shoulder. I hope your recovery is swift and complete! Best of luck.

Re:Scapholunate ligament!!! 7 years ago #16445

• Cavitator
      • Platinum Boarder
      Hey Chykcha,

Sorry to see you're back....but I did miss ya! Hope things are improving!
      3/51 Bilateral VIII C.N. complete neurectomy
      2/60 Failed Supratentorial electrotherapy w/subsequent pancerebral resection
      2/89 Bilateral aqueous humor drainage w/complete retinectomy
      3/02 Quadralateral proximal extremity resection from gestational thalidomide exposure
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 329 guests online