Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

Hip/Groin Pain: what is it??
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Hip/Groin Pain: what is it??

Hip/Groin Pain: what is it?? 7 years, 4 months ago #14007

• javajvg
      • Senior Boarder
      In March of this year I started having a clicking/popping happen at the point where my leg joins the hip -- at first it was just bothersome. External rotation of the leg, squatting, bending down aggravate - it feels like something deep in the leg/groin is going the wrong way. The last few months the pain has become a constant burning in the right groin. Finally saw a sports medicine doctor and she ordered xrays (which looked fine) and an MRI(no dye) & I'm still waiting on those results.

Based on my experience w/shoulder MRI accuracy, I'm not that hopeful I'll learn any more from a hip MRI.

What could this possibly be? 47 year-old athletic female. Any advice or similar experience would be most appreciated! Jennifer

Re:Hip/Groin Pain: what is it?? 7 years, 4 months ago #14009

• sskylor
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Physical Therapist/Patient
      I bet you didn't know that there is a labrum in the hip and yes it can tear. Groin pain of course can be from sprain/strain and scaring,arthritis or bone spur or loose fragment, but if you cannot put your hand on it and it feels deep I dare to say it could be a labrum. What type of sports do you do that could have put the hip under strain??? Sharon

Re:Hip/Groin Pain: what is it?? 7 years, 4 months ago #14010

• javajvg
      • Senior Boarder
      Oh there it is again - the L-word LABRUM.

I had a SLAP II repair in April and am loathe to think I have a hip labrum issue. My PT has described me as having "global instability"/hypermobility/loosey-goosey in all joints.

I injured my shoulder kickboxing a heavy bag; I can't remember if I kickboxed in March when my hip started hurting but I may have; I wouldn't have been using my arms but might have just been kicking. I should have picked Tai Chi.

Thanks for your input, Sharon. I'll post the MRI results.

Re:Hip/Groin Pain: what is it?? 7 years, 4 months ago #14011

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      Jennifer,

How are you in terms of stretching? A lot of people when they stretch, miss out on some key muscle areas. In terms of hip clicking/popping, muscle imbalances in terms of strength and flexibility can be main contributers. Some main culprits, are the hip flexors which can become very tight which throws off the alignment of the femur and the pelvis. A lot of times, the IT (Illiotibial) band can become tight and when the leg is externally rotated, it snaps over the femur. The piriformis and psoas muscles also run through the groin and up into the lower back, which could account for the bending over/squatting.

Have you been going to physical therapy at all or doing any sort of treatment? has anyone mentioned anything about tight hip flexors or IT band? most of the time, hip snapping/pain can be corrected through a stretching and strengthening program once you pin point what you imbalances are.

Leanne
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re:Hip/Groin Pain: what is it?? 7 years, 4 months ago #14012

• javajvg
      • Senior Boarder
      Thank you, Leanne, very much.

I don't stretch the legs/hip often. I've been completely focused on an extensive shoulder surgery repair since April so all my PT has been in that regard.

I'm not sure who to see if the MRI is negative; a structural-alignment medical professional? Would that be a PT or somebody else? Thanks again, Jennifer

Re:Hip/Groin Pain: what is it?? 7 years, 4 months ago #14013

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      I know going through shoulder rehab myself since surgery at the end of March, I've lost focus on other parts of my body and have been dealing with low back and hip pain because of tight hip flexors. My suggestion would be to see a PT, they would be able to run the various muscle/ligament tests to determine where imbalances are. Even if you go to a gym, ask a personal trainer for some hip flexor stretches. I just did a quick google search to show you some hip flexor stretches that you could try, just like anyother stretch, stretch discomfort is fine but should not cause pain.

ptclinic.com/medlibrary/pdf/756.pdf

Try some of these out and see how it goes. you can do a google search and find some videos as well. also, i don't know if you have access to a foam roller at physio or a gym, but you can buy one for about $20 and you can roll over top of it and it helps relieve some of the tension in those hip flexors. A foam roller has been one of my best investments. check out some of the things you can work on with it...

www.performbetter.com/catalog/assets/Exe...s/PDF/FoamRoller.pdf
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement
      Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 225 guests online
      Up