Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: Tight Hamstring and Calf

Tight Hamstring and Calf 7 years, 1 month ago #16313

• Arnzii
      • Fresh Boarder
      I've been feeling tightness in my left calf for a couple of months. Now my left hamstring and back of the knee is beginning to feel tight as well. At first, I thought it's from the new sneakers that I bought. Then I switched back to my old sneakers, which feels a little snug and better anyways, but it didn't resolve the problem.

I already have a plantar fasciitis in my right foot and I don't want to develop one on the other foot.

I'm on my feet a lot and lots of bending over (I work as a dialysis nurse). Not to mention that I have a 3-month old baby and have to bend over to change diapers. I would get up from the bed and my calf and leg would feel tight right away!

I've been doing stretches and it feels better for an hour and it goes back to that tightness again.

Please help! Any little bit of suggestions/referrals are very much appreciated!

Re:Tight Hamstring and Calf 7 years, 1 month ago #16315

• johnt0148
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Bi-lateral SLAP Tear Surgeries
      If I were you, I would be telling all this to my primary care physician as you may have symtoms that need to be diagnosed properly and quickly,
      John

Re:Tight Hamstring and Calf 7 years, 1 month ago #16319

• sskylor
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Physical Therapist/Patient
      Given the types of activities you are doing get a referal for PT.
      The tightness maybe coming from a compromised nerve. Exercises of neural gliding and Mckenzie press-ups and instructions on proper lifting will likely cure this issue. In terms of the plantar fascitis order a pair of heel seats from heel-that-pain.com, a very clever and inexpensive remedy for both feet.
      Sharon

Re:Tight Hamstring and Calf 7 years, 1 month ago #16325

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      I agree that a referral to a PT is in order to not only rule out any nerve involvement, but also start a stretching and strengthening program. I developed plantar fascitis after an ankle sprain a few months ago. As a result, I ruptured a tendon and that led to a whole lot of calf stiffness/tightness from compensating with bad gait.

A few things I would recommend...

-when you stretch your calf, you will benefit a lot more if you heat the muscle first and then after again. heat it as much as you can.

-also, with regards to your plantar fasciitis, i would highly recommend picking up an acuball (www.acuball.com/). It's a small plastic ball with knobs/spikes on it, that can be heated and used for rolling out the bottom of your foot (and calfs and any other muscle really). I bought one a few months ago, it's been a godsend and got rid of the plantar fasciitis.

-also, a good RMT who does myofascial release would be something to look into. I had this done on my calves and really helped with the stretching program. If the fascia in your calves is stuck together (which no doubt yours is), then you can stretch all you want, it'll be very difficult to stretch those muscles and get it to last. it's not fun to have done, but very beneficial. also someone who specializes in graston method as well.

these are all things that i did after i sprained my ankle and developed tight calves that are quite simple to do. however, i do think you should still see a PT just to rule out any nerve involvement and assess lifting and bending techniques, etc.

Leanne
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re:Tight Hamstring and Calf 7 years, 1 month ago #16326

• johnt0148
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Bi-lateral SLAP Tear Surgeries
      For example,
      Fibromyalgia produces widespread pain, disturbed sleep, and exhaustion from head to toe.1 Fibromyalgia means pain in the muscles, ligaments, and tendons—the soft fibrous tissues of the body. Although the muscles hurt everywhere, they are not the only cause of the pain. Instead, the diffuse, body-wide symptoms are greatly magnified by malfunctions in the way the nervous system processes pain.

But if you just want PT, listen to a PT
      John

Re:Tight Hamstring and Calf 7 years, 1 month ago #16328

• sskylor
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Physical Therapist/Patient
      FYI The heel seats will acupressure the fascia with every step you take.

Also the reason I recommend a PT is that stretching a nerve
      will actually make the leg tighter and nerve more unhappy. Neural gliding will help again if the nerve is the primary culprit.
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 179 guests online