Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: hamstring syndrome

hamstring syndrome 5 years, 8 months ago #22312

• biobabe
      • Fresh Boarder
      Hi!

I am new to this site. I have recently been diagnosed with hamstring syndrome. I experience tightness and a burning-like sensation in my hamstrings, near the crease of my buttocks, along with muscle spasms and pulsing feet.

I was wondering if anyone with this syndrome has any advise for me as to how to ease this problem, whether that be with ice, heat, etc.

Thanks!

Re:hamstring syndrome 5 years, 8 months ago #22313

• johnt0148
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Bi-lateral SLAP Tear Surgeries
      Run much? I was a marathon runner until my hamstrings ended my long distance running. I tried everything from PT, to prolotherapy injections and anytime I ran more than a mile, I couldn't sit for a week. The only thing that worked for me was to give up running. I had 6 injections and went to sports orthepedic MDs who were worthless. Nothing helped. I still have to stretch and work at this problem.
      John

Re:hamstring syndrome 5 years, 8 months ago #22314

• biobabe
      • Fresh Boarder
      Hi johnt0148,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes. I used to be an avid runner, tennis player, and dancer years ago. However, ever since I have had extremely tight hamstrings I have been unable to exercise at anywhere close to my former levels. I have a hard time just walking around when the pain and spasming gets quite bad. Do you find that you can still do other forms of exercise?

I'm trying to find a way around this syndrome and how to manage it. Though, I find gradually increasing the exercise helps, it is so easy to cause my hamstring to tighten by over-doing it a little.

I'm sorry to hear you have gone through this, too, and have had to give up running because of it.
      Hopefully, one of us finds a way to beat this thing.

Take good care.

Re:hamstring syndrome 5 years, 8 months ago #22315

• johnt0148
      • Platinum Boarder
      I went to a sport therapist who taught me a few stretches which I do with yoga 3 times a week which have the pain under control. I have been running .25 mile after walking a mile every day which seems to be my limitation. The temptation to go the distance has been quashed so many times by pain which prevents me from sitting through a movie or driving for more than an hour. It is a work in progress. The stretch which I learned is where you lay on your back and lift one leg at a time and pull it back as hard as possible for 40 to 50 times.
      Bottom line, don't stress the hamstrings and stretch the hell out of them.
      John

Re:hamstring syndrome 5 years, 8 months ago #22317

• biobabe
      • Fresh Boarder
      Yes. I have been given some stretches from a PT as well. Do you do yours every day (statically) or after exercise? I've heard some accounts that say static stretching isn't good for you. Also, I find I have to hold off stretching when the syndrome flares up really bad. During that time (about 4 days) I just take it easy, though I'm not sure if ice or heat is better to use for tight, spasming legs.

I definitely want to get back into yoga, too, after I am able to walk around a bit more again. I was in it last year and improved significantly with it. Everytime I have a flare-up, however, I go right back to square one and have to slowly build up again. Hopefully, I can get a better handle on that soon.

Thanks again!

Re:hamstring syndrome 5 years, 8 months ago #22318

• johnt0148
      • Platinum Boarder
      I do my stretching 3 times a week. I walk & run .25 mile every day, so the stretching only occurs on 3 of the days that I run. The stretch that I described is a bounce not at static pull. I was taught to pull the leg back as far and as hard as possible for 50 reps. When I went to the pt, she got on top of me and put everything she had into pushing. It took several weeks, but it does help. The bounce approach is somewhat radical for stretching where you are taught to hold the stetch for 2o seconds or so. This is contrary to that approach and requires a rapid pull and release for the duration of the set.
      John
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online