Username Password: Remember me

Started my knee diagnosis today
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: Started my knee diagnosis today

Started my knee diagnosis today 10 years, 9 months ago #248

• Andy
      • Administrator
      Like many on this board, I am completely falling apart, but with an excellent cardio system! My right knee has bothered me for a long time as well so it's time to start that process now that the arm is feeling much better. It didn't bother me while I climbed, but I have started using an elliptical bike again and after about 10 mins I get some instability and pain.

I started with my general practioner today and described my symptoms to him. My two main complaints are as follows. If I exercise for a while I get some tenderness directly above and below my kneecap and sometimes if I'm running upstairs, I'll get a twinge that feels like it's directly underneath my kneecap in the joint.
      He did a whole much of ma***ulation tests on my leg. Push in, push out, twists, etc... None of them really hurt. What did hurt was when he pressed down on my kneecap and slid it upwards. It was the same feeling I get from time to time.

He believes I have something called hondromalacia patella. It's a degenerative problem of the articular cartilage lining the undersurface of the kneecap (patella). The cartilage softens and wears away. I went for some xrays and will hopefully find out tomorrow or the next day if that's it.

Until then..

Re:Started my knee diagnosis today 10 years, 9 months ago #263

• Andy
      • Administrator
      I got the diagnosis from the x rays yesterday. Things look good but I have some fluid build up that I guess is a little odd. My primary care doctor is sending me to an orthopedic doctor. So I picked the same guy that did my shoulder, apparently he's a knee doctor first and a shoulder guy second.
      I think it's not so much the joint as it is skill with the arthroscopic proceedures. So I'm comfy going to him for this as well. App is next friday, so time will tell..

Re:Started my knee diagnosis today 10 years, 9 months ago #265

• Cindy
      • Senior Boarder
      Andy - Isn't it amazing how we do start to fall apart? I've started hiking again which feels great, but my knees, hips and back all hurt. I know that eventually I will have to deal with all, or some of them. Sometimes I ask myself the question \"Is it worth it?\" The answer is always yes. I guess we could just sit at home and keep our muscles and joints safe, but I think everyone on this site enjoys the stuff we do too much.

Just a side note. My father is 83 and his knees have finally given out. He was a semi-pro football player and all those years of being a split end have finally take their toll. He also suffers from Alzheimer's disease. So, we now have to decide if he should have knee replacement surgery or spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. The chances of him doing well with the surgery are slim. Neither choice is good. But, even in his confused state his answer to the question \"Was is all worth it?\" is \"Absolutely yes.\" So, there you go - none of us wants to sit back and let life pass us buy. The risks are definitely worth it, and luckily medicine and surgery have come a long way.

Re:Started my knee diagnosis today 10 years, 9 months ago #267

• Andy
      • Administrator
      Hi Cindy, the trade off is a funny one isn't it? I guess it all depends what you want out of life. Last time I checked, there is no contest for who has the healthy joints at the end! So I definately agree with you. The last few years, where my exercise level had basically collapsed to zero, were difficult to get through and my mood definately took the brunt of the burden. Things are looking up now!

A great note about your dad. All the best for you and him in the future!

Re:Started my knee diagnosis today 10 years, 9 months ago #299

• Thurman
      • Fresh Boarder
      It's funny you guys mention knee pain now.

I just started getting pain in my left knee which i sprained last year. My knee would click every once in a while but last 2 days its clicking alot. I got a very vague pain and a little instability if i left the bottom of my leg dangle. If i stand on it by itself its fine and i can jog on it.

At first i chalked it up to the stint of bad weather we have been happening as it started hurting as soon as the weather turned bad. But now its nice out and it still hurts.

This sucks!!

Re:Started my knee diagnosis today 10 years, 9 months ago #301

• Andy
      • Administrator
      Bummer Thurman, It's a good thing that you can still jog tho..

I should rename the site.. falling apart.com

• Page:
      Time to create page: 0.47 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online